Finding the Inverse of a Diagonal Matrix in Terms of Eigenvalues

In summary, diagonalizing an N × N matrix H involves writing it as H = UDU† where D is a diagonal matrix with diagonal elements equal to the eigenvalues of H, and U is a unitary matrix. To find the inverse matrix D^-1 in terms of λ_i, you can simply take the reciprocal of each diagonal entry in D. However, the inverse only exists if all the eigenvalues are non-zero. To prove that H^-1 = UD^-1U†, you can simply multiply the matrices and show that the result is the identity matrix.
P-Jay1
Diagonalizing an N × N matrix H involves writing it as H = UDU† where D is a
diagonal matrix, with diagonal elements equal to the eigenvalues of the matrix H, and U
is a unitary matrix.
We may write:

D=
(λ1 0 0 ... 0)
(0 λ2 0 ... 0)
(0 0 λ3... 0)
(... ... ... ... λn)

Assuming all the eigenvalues are non-zero, how do I find an expression for the inverse matrix
D^−1 in terms of λi?
And how do I prove rove that H^−1 = UD^−1U†?

For the first question I'm assuming the inverse of D is just:

D=
(1/λ1 0 0 ... 0)
(0 1/λ2 0...0)
(0 0 1/λ3...0)
(... ... ... ...1/λn)

How do I find in terms of λi?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to "assume" the inverse of a diagonal matrix is the diagonal matrix having the reciprocal of each entry on the diagonal. Simply multiply the matrices and see what you get.

Of course, the inverse exists if and only if none of the diagonal entries is 0. And what you have already is precisely what is meant by "find an expression for the inverse matrix
[itex]D^{−1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]λ_i[/itex]".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ivy. How do I go about doing the second question?

Related to Finding the Inverse of a Diagonal Matrix in Terms of Eigenvalues

What is the inverse of a diagonal matrix?

The inverse of a diagonal matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with the original diagonal matrix, yields the identity matrix.

How do you find the inverse of a diagonal matrix?

To find the inverse of a diagonal matrix, you simply need to replace each diagonal element with its reciprocal. In other words, you find the inverse of each element and place it on the corresponding diagonal position in the new matrix.

Is every diagonal matrix invertible?

Yes, every diagonal matrix is invertible as long as none of its diagonal elements are equal to zero. If any of the diagonal elements are zero, the matrix is not invertible.

What is the relationship between the determinant of a diagonal matrix and its inverse?

The determinant of a diagonal matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal elements. The determinant of the inverse of a diagonal matrix is equal to the reciprocal of the determinant of the original diagonal matrix.

Can the inverse of a diagonal matrix be a diagonal matrix?

Yes, the inverse of a diagonal matrix can be a diagonal matrix. This is because when you replace each diagonal element with its reciprocal, the resulting matrix will still have the same diagonal elements, but in a different order.