Finding the inverse Laplace transform

In summary, the inverse Laplace transform of a product isn't the product of the inverse Laplace transforms in general. The form for the expansion should be: \frac{1}{(s)(s^2+4)^2} = {\frac{A}{s}} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 +4} + \frac{Ds + E}{(s^2+4)^2}.
Rubik

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace transform of the following function
1/[s(s2 + 4)2]

Homework Equations

1/ (s2 + [itex]\omega[/itex]2)2 = (1/ 2[itex]\omega[/itex]3) (sin[itex]\omega[/itex]t -[itex]\omega[/itex]t cos[itex]\omega[/itex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

L-1 = (1/s) (1/ s2 +22)2
= (1/16) (sin 2t - 2t cos 2t) as the Laplace transform of (1/s) = 1

Is this what I am meant to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse Laplace transform of a product isn't the product of the inverse Laplace transforms in general. You can go for the convolution theorem (might be a mess), or use partial fractions to decompose that, which requires you to use a few other inverse identities once you get the decomposition.

Right.. how silly of me, so doing it by partial fractions I got 0=B=C and A= 1/16
giving me F(s) = (1/16)(1/s) does that seem a little more on track?

Well using partial fractions is definitely on track. But remember that when you have a quadratic term in the denominator, you have to have a linear term in the numerator (plus, it's squared, so there are going to be two.) The form for the expansion should be:

[tex]\frac{1}{(s)(s^2+4)^2} = {\frac{A}{s}} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 +4} + \frac{Ds + E}{(s^2+4)^2}[/tex]

Give that a shot.

Last edited:
Okay after that I am now getting A = 1/16, B = -1/16, C = 0, D = -1/4, E = 0.

(1/16)(1/s) - (1/16)(s/[s2 + 4]) - (1/4)(s/(s2 + 4)2

That looks good! Now that you have those, you can invert them term-by-term since the inverse Laplace transform is linear, so [itex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}(af(t)+bg(t)) = a\mathcal{L}^{-1}(f(t)) + b\mathcal{L}^{-1}(g(t))[/itex] for constants [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

Thank you so much! :D

You're welcome! :biggrin:

There is a standard result: if f(t) <---> g(s), then integral_{x=0..t} f(x) dx < ---> g(s)/s.

RGV

Related to Finding the inverse Laplace transform

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain (i.e. a function of complex numbers) and converts it back into a function in the time domain. This allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a system over time.

2. How do you find the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform can be found using various techniques, such as partial fraction decomposition, residue integration, or the convolution theorem. The appropriate method depends on the complexity of the function in the Laplace domain.

3. Why is finding the inverse Laplace transform important?

Finding the inverse Laplace transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of systems in the time domain. This is crucial in many fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. What are some common applications of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It also has applications in physics, particularly in analyzing the behavior of systems described by differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the inverse Laplace transform. Some functions in the Laplace domain may not have a closed-form inverse Laplace transform, making it difficult to find the solution. Additionally, some techniques for finding the inverse Laplace transform may not work for all functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.