Finding the Interval of Convergence for Power Series | Ratio Test Explained

In summary, the interval of convergence for the power series \sum \frac{x^n}{\sqrt{n}} is (-∞,∞) by the ratio test, where the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of x * the limit of the square root of n over the square root of n+1 is equal to 0. This is because the ratio test simplifies to the form of n/n+1 square root, with the x^n terms cancelling out. The original formula has n in the numerator, but in the limit, it is in the denominator.
xtrubambinoxpr
Find the interval of convergence for the power series [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex]

using the ratio test I get that the absolute value of x * the lim of square root of n over square root of n+1 = 0. so that being said i believe the interval of convergence is (-∞,∞) by the ratio test

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about your limit again! The convergence radius is
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{\frac{n+1}{n}}=\cdots[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{\frac{n+1}{n}}=\cdots[/tex]

Why? using the ratio test you get X^n+1 / sqrt(n+1) * the reciprocal of the original expression. So the x^n cancel out. leaving it in the form with n / n+1 square root

vanhees71 said:

also i notice you have n+1 in the denominator. Isnt it the numerator in the original formula? that's how it is in my book anyways

Related to Finding the Interval of Convergence for Power Series | Ratio Test Explained

1. How do I check my work for errors?

To check your work for errors, it is important to review it multiple times. Start by reading through your work carefully, checking for spelling and grammar mistakes. Then, review the content to ensure it is accurate and makes sense. You can also ask a friend or colleague to proofread your work for any errors you may have missed.

2. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking my work?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking your work include spelling and grammar errors, incorrect information, and formatting mistakes. It is also important to check for plagiarism and ensure that all sources are properly cited.

3. How can I improve the quality of my work when checking it?

To improve the quality of your work when checking it, try taking breaks in between reviews to avoid becoming too familiar with the content. Additionally, read your work out loud to catch any awkward or confusing sentences. It can also be helpful to use online tools or resources to check for errors and improve the overall quality of your work.

4. How can I check my work more efficiently?

To check your work more efficiently, it is important to have a systematic approach. This can include creating a checklist of things to look for, such as spelling errors, grammar mistakes, and formatting issues. You can also use online tools or resources to help identify errors more quickly.

5. Is it important to check my work even if I am confident in my abilities?

Yes, it is important to check your work even if you are confident in your abilities. Everyone makes mistakes, and reviewing your work can help catch any errors or inconsistencies. It also shows attention to detail and a commitment to producing high-quality work.