Finding the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane

In summary, the task is to find the intersection of the two equations x-y-z>-10 and x2+y2/4+z2/9=36 and to express it in parametric form. This can be done by defining x as x=y+z-10 and solving for y in terms of z, using the positive and negative branches to parametrize the two halves of the curve. This can then be combined using a parameter t to create a parametrization for the full curve.
Conservation

Homework Statement

Find the curve that is the intersection of x-y-z>-10 and x2+y2/4+z2/9=36.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The best idea I have is to define x as x=y+z-10 and substitute it into the ellipsoid equation to get a function defined by y and z; the trouble is that leaves out the x.

I need to define the curve explicitly in terms of three variables as I need to later take the gradient of the curve.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation said:

Homework Statement

Find the curve that is the intersection of x-y-z>-10 and x2+y2/4+z2/9=36.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The best idea I have is to define x as x=y+z-10 and substitute it into the ellipsoid equation to get a function defined by y and z; the trouble is that leaves out the x.

I need to define the curve explicitly in terms of three variables as I need to later take the gradient of the curve.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

You are finding the projection of the curve Cxyz onto the yz-plane (= curve Cyz). For any (y,z) in Cyz you get the point in Cxyz by putting back x = y+z+10.

What you suggested is fine. Leaving out the x doesn't matter.

Conservation said:
I need to later take the gradient of the curve
You can't take a gradient of a curve, as gradient is defined for a scalar field and a curve is not a scalar field. Do you mean that you want to calculate tangents to the curve (aka velocities)? If so then you will want your curve to be expressed in parametric form as a function ##\gamma:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^3##.

You can parametrise half the curve by doing the substitution you mentioned, to get an equation in y and z. Solve the equation for y in terms of z and then you can choose z to be the curve parameter for a half of the curve. The equation's solution will have a square root. Choosing the positive branch will give one half of the curve and the negative will give the other. The parametrisation of the half curve will have three equations: ##x=f(z),\ y=g(z),\ z=z##. You can turn this into a parametrisation of the full curve by introducing a parameter ##t## and using it to 'sew' the two branches together. But you may not need to go that far. It depends on what they want you to do.

Related to Finding the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane

What is an ellipsoid and a plane?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles an elongated sphere, often described as an egg or an oval. A plane is a two-dimensional flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions.

What does it mean to find the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane?

Finding the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane means determining the points where the surface of the ellipsoid and the plane intersect or touch each other.

Why is finding the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane important?

It is important in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering where ellipsoids and planes are used to model and study various phenomena. Finding the intersection can provide valuable information about the relationship between these two shapes.

How is the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane calculated?

The intersection can be calculated by solving the equations for the ellipsoid and the plane simultaneously. This can be done using algebraic methods or through computer software.

What are some applications of finding the intersection of an ellipsoid and a plane?

Finding the intersection can be used to solve problems in various fields. For example, in engineering, it can help determine the shape and dimensions of objects that will fit into a particular space. In physics, it can be used to model and simulate the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.