Finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)

In summary, the problem is to find the antiderivative of ∫(sin2(πx)*cos5(πx))dx, which can be simplified to ∫(sin2(x)*cos4(x)*cos(x))dx. Using u-substitution, letting u = sin x and du = cos x dx, the antiderivative is found to be -((u^3)/3)-(2(u^5)/5)+(u^7)/7, with the negative sign disappearing when using an online integral calculator. The error was in the du = -cos x dx, which should be du = cos x dx. This can be solved by using u = sin(πx), leading to a simpler solution.
grafs50

Homework Statement

∫(sin2(πx)*cos5(πx))dx.

Homework Equations

Just the above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how pi effects the answer, so I basically solved ∫(sin2(x)^cos5(x))dx.

∫(sin2(x)*cos4(x)*cos(x))dx
∫sin2(x)*(1-sin2(x))2*cos(x))dx
U-substitution
u = sin x du = -cos x dx

∫(u2*(1-u2)2) -du
-∫(u2*(1-u2)2) du
-∫(u2*(1-2u2+u4) du
-∫(u2-2u4+u6) du

-((u3/3)-(2u5/5)+(u7/7).

When I look up what the antiderivative should be on integral-calculator.com. the minus sign outside of the parentheses disappears, which I can't figure out how.

Can anyone give me some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If u = sin x then du = cos x, not - cos x.

grafs50 said:

Homework Statement

∫(sin2(πx)*cos5(πx))dx.

Homework Equations

Just the above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how pi effects the answer, so I basically solved ∫(sin2(x)^cos5(x))dx.

∫(sin2(x)*cos4(x)*cos(x))dx
∫sin2(x)*(1-sin2(x))2*cos(x))dx
U-substitution
u = sin x du = -cos x dx
Fix the sign error that RUber pointed out. Then do the original problem the same way but let ##u =\sin(\pi x)##.
[Edit:] Fixed typo.

Last edited:
RUber said:
If u = sin x then du = cos x
No doubt just an oversight, but du = cos(x) dx.

Likes RUber
Thanks everyone. Figured it out.

Related to Finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)

1. What is the process for finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)?

The process for finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x) involves using the trigonometric identities and the power rule for integration. The steps are as follows:

1. Use the identity sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2 to rewrite the integral as (1-cos(2*pi*x))/2 * cos^5(pi*x).
  2. Expand the expression to get 1/2 * cos^5(pi*x) - 1/2 * cos^6(pi*x).
  3. Use the power rule to integrate each term, resulting in 1/2 * (sin(pi*x)/pi - sin^7(pi*x)/7pi) + C.
  4. Simplify the expression to get (sin(pi*x) - sin^7(pi*x)/7) / (14*pi) + C.
  5. Finalize the answer by substituting back the original variable, resulting in (sin(x) - sin^7(x)/7) / (14*pi) + C.

2. Can I use integration by parts to find the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to find the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x). However, it would require multiple iterations of the integration by parts formula and may result in a more complex answer compared to using the trigonometric identities and the power rule for integration.

3. What is the domain of the integral for sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)?

The domain of the indefinite integral for sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x) is all real numbers, as there are no restrictions on the values of x that can be plugged into the function.

4. How do I check if my answer for the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x) is correct?

You can check the answer by taking the derivative of the result and seeing if it matches the original function. In this case, the derivative of (sin(x) - sin^7(x)/7) / (14*pi) + C is sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x), confirming the correctness of the answer.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick to finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)?

There is no specific shortcut or trick to finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x). However, having a good understanding of the trigonometric identities and the power rule for integration can make the process more efficient and less error-prone.