Finding the Formula for Partial Sums of an Arithmetic Sequence

In summary, we can use a geometric or algebraic argument to find the formula for the partial sums $A_n$ of an arithmetic sequence, which is given by $S_n = \frac{n}{2}(2a_1+(n-1)d)$ where $d$ is the difference. We can derive this formula by expressing the sum recursively and using a homogeneous recursion and its associated characteristic equation.
Dustinsfl
Use a geometric or algebraic argument to find a formula for the partial sums $A_n$ of an arithmetic sequence.

I know that the partial sum is $S_n = n/2(2a_1+(n-1)d)$ where d is the difference.

$A_n = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n a_k$

I can come up with $n/2(a_1+a_n)$ but how do I get the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, dwsmith!

Use a geometric or algebraic argument to find a formula for the partial sum $S_n$ of an arithmetic sequence.

I know that the partial sum is: $S_n = \frac{n}{2}(2a_1+(n-1)d)$ where d is the difference.

$A_n = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n a_k$

I can come up with $\frac{n}{2}(a_1+a_n)$ but how do I get the difference?

Why do you want $d$ ? .You don't know $a_1$ either.

Did you read the question?
They ask us to derive the partial sum formula.We have: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}a_1 &=& a_1 \\ a_2 &=& a_1 + d \\ a_3 &=& a + 2d \\ a_4 &=& a+3d \\ \vdots && \vdots \\ a_n &=& a + (n\!-\!1)d \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

Add: .[tex]\underbrace{a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + \cdots + a_n}_{S_n} \;=\;\underbrace{a_1 + a_1 + \cdots + a_1}_{n\text{ terms}} + \big[1 + 2+ 3+\cdots + (n\!-\!1)\big]d [/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]S_n \;=\;n\!\cdot\!a_1 + \frac{n(n-1)}{2}d \;=\;\frac{2na_1 + n(n\!-\!1)d}{2}[/tex]

. . . . . . . [[tex]S_n \;=\;\frac{n}{2}\big[2a_1 + (n\!-\!1)d\big][/tex]

The nth term of an arithmetic sequence is:

$\displaystyle a_n=a_1+(n-1)d$

We could derive the partial sum by expressing the sum recursively:

$\displaystyle S_{n}=S_{n-1}+(n-1)d$

$\displaystyle S_{n+1}=S_{n}+nd$

Subtracting the former from the latter, we find:

$\displaystyle S_{n+1}=2S_{n}-S_{n-1}+d$

$\displaystyle S_{n+2}=2S_{n+1}-S_{n}+d$

Subtracting again, we find the homogeneous recursion:

$\displaystyle S_{n+2}=3S_{n+1}-3S_{n}+S_{n-1}$

The associated characteristic equation is:

$\displaystyle r^2-3r^2+3r-1=0$

$\displaystyle (r-1)^3=0$

Hence:

$\displaystyle S_n=k_1+k_2n+k_3n^2$

Using:

$\displaystyle S_1=k_1+k_2+k_3=a_1$

$\displaystyle S_2=k_1+2k_2+4k_3=2a_1+d$

$\displaystyle S_3=k_1+3k_2+9k_3=3a_1+3d$

we find:

$\displaystyle k_1=0,k_2=a_1-\frac{1}{2}d,k_3=\frac{1}{2}d$

And so:

$\displaystyle S_n=\left(a_1-\frac{1}{2}d \right)n+\left(\frac{1}{2}d \right)n^2$

$\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1-d+nd\right)$

$\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1+(n-1)d\right)$

Related to Finding the Formula for Partial Sums of an Arithmetic Sequence

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. In other words, each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term.

2. How do you find the formula for the partial sums of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for the partial sums of an arithmetic sequence is Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms. This formula can also be written as Sn = (n/2)(a + l), where l is the last term in the sequence.

3. What is the purpose of finding the formula for partial sums of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for partial sums allows us to quickly and easily find the sum of a certain number of terms in an arithmetic sequence. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating averages or predicting future values.

4. Can the formula for partial sums be used for non-arithmetic sequences?

No, the formula for partial sums only applies to arithmetic sequences where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. For non-arithmetic sequences, different formulas or methods must be used to find the sum of the terms.

5. How do you use the formula for partial sums to solve a problem?

To use the formula for partial sums, you need to know the first term, last term, and common difference of the arithmetic sequence. Simply plug these values into the formula and solve for the desired number of terms. Make sure to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.