Finding the Force on a Current-Carrying Wire

• Thread starter themountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wire
In summary, the force on a current-carrying wire is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field created by the current and the external magnetic field. It can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta) and its direction is determined by the right-hand rule. The force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and can be used to move the wire, as seen in electric motors and generators.
themountain
Homework Statement
How do I find force with direction on a Wire that is parallel to 2 other wires?

I am trying to solve a problem that states: Three wires are placed horizontally in the plane of the paper. Wire L, carrying a current of 12.8 A to the right is 15 cm long. Wire M, also 15 cm long, is placed 8 cm below L (further down on the paper) and carries 6.9A to the left. Wire N, again 15 cm long, is 12 cm below Wire M and carries a 9 A current to the left. What is the force (with direction) on Wire L?
Relevant Equations
F=ILBsin
I realize that I need to use F=ILBsin on the problem but don't understand if I should compile the information of all of wires into one equation or if I should do the formula 3 separate times and then use some other method to get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You want to find the ##\vec B## at wire L. There are two contributions. You can add the ##\vec B## and calculate ##\vec F## with your equation, or you can calculate two ##\vec F## and add those.

Related to Finding the Force on a Current-Carrying Wire

1. What is the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field created by the current in the wire and an external magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the external magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is affected by the strength of the current, the length of the wire, the strength of the external magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the force on a current-carrying wire?

The direction of the current in the wire determines the direction of the force on the wire. The force will be in the same direction as the magnetic field if the current is flowing parallel to the field, and it will be in the opposite direction if the current is flowing anti-parallel to the field.

5. Can the force on a current-carrying wire be controlled?

Yes, the force on a current-carrying wire can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the current, the length of the wire, or the strength of the external magnetic field. By changing these factors, the magnitude and direction of the force can be altered.