Finding the Final Velocity unsing a Force by Time Graph.

In summary, the graph shows the force applied to a 3.8 kg cart on a horizontal track, initially at rest. To calculate the final velocity of the cart, we must find the impulse, which is equal to the change in momentum. The area under the graph represents the impulse, and can be divided into three simple figures to calculate the total impulse. Using the formula for area of a rectangle and trapezoid, we can find the impulse and then divide it by the mass of the cart to find the final velocity.
OliTheNinja

Homework Statement

The graph below shows the force applied to a 3.8 kg cart initially at rest but free to move on a horizontal track. Calculate the final velocity of the cart, after being subjected to the forces illustrated in the graph.

The graph is attached.

Homework Equations

Okay so I know that the area in a Force by Time graph is the impulse, but I'm not exactly sure how to get to that.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first tried 10N*24s=240N*s, 240N*s=240kg*m/s, 240kg*m/s=3.8kg*Change in velocity, 240/3.8=63.158 m/s

WRONG!

I then tried doing 9N*6s=54N*s, 54/3.8=14.211 m/s

WRONG AGAIN!

I also tried 10N*17s=170N*s, 170/3.8=44.737 m/s

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Help Please? If I can find the impulse, I know all I have to do is divide it by 3.8, since the impulse is equal to the change in momentum.

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    3 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the area under the curve is the impulse, mv. If you draw vertical lines at t= 6 and t= 17, you divide the region under the graph into three simple figures: from t= 0 to t= 6 you have a trapezoid with "height" (horizontally) of 6 and "bases" of length 9 and 4. From t= 6 to 17 you have a rectangle with height 4 and base 11. from t= 17 to t= 24, you have a trapezoid with height 7 and bases of length 4 and 10.

The area of a rectangle is "base times height" and the area of a trapezoid is "average of the two bases times height". The area under the graph is the sum of those three areas.

Related to Finding the Final Velocity unsing a Force by Time Graph.

1. How can I determine the final velocity from a force by time graph?

The final velocity can be determined by finding the area under the force by time graph. This can be done by dividing the area into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and finding their individual areas. Then, add all the individual areas together to find the total area. The final velocity can be calculated by dividing the total area by the mass of the object.

2. What is the significance of the slope of a force by time graph?

The slope of a force by time graph represents the acceleration of the object. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. This is because the slope is equal to the force divided by the mass, according to Newton's second law of motion.

3. Can the final velocity be negative on a force by time graph?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative on a force by time graph. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. The magnitude of the final velocity will depend on the magnitude of the force and the duration for which it was applied.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the final velocity on a force by time graph?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the final velocity on a force by time graph. However, it does affect the acceleration of the object. A smaller mass will result in a larger acceleration for the same amount of force applied, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. Can the final velocity be greater than the initial velocity on a force by time graph?

Yes, the final velocity can be greater than the initial velocity on a force by time graph. This indicates that the object is accelerating in the direction of the applied force. The magnitude of the final velocity will depend on the magnitude of the force and the duration for which it was applied.