Finding the equation of vertex of right angle triangle

In summary: So the coordinates of the vertex of the right angle must lie on this circle. Therefore, the equation relating x and y is:(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=25In summary, the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle, A(6,0) and B(0,8), determine a circle whose diameter is the line segment AB and whose equation is (x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=25. The coordinates of the vertex of the right angle must lie on this circle, resulting in the equation (x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=25 relating x and y.
hb2325
Points (6,0) and (O,8) are the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a
right-angled triangle, whose other vertex is at (x,y). What equation relates x
and y?Attempt at solution:

So What I am thinking is that the line will be perpendicular to the line with end points 6,0 and 0,8.

So The gradient of this line is 4/3, hence the gradient of the other line perpendicular to this one will be -3/4

So the equation relating X and y is y = -3/4 x + c ?

Now can I assume that given line is a perpendicular bisector to the hypotenuse and so interesects it at 3,4 (mid point) and hence substitue for c - which i get to 25/4

So y = -3/4 x + 25/4 , This kinda feels wrong and I would appreciate input.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hb2325 said:
Points A(6,0) and B(O,8) are the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a

So What I am thinking is that the line will be perpendicular to the line with end points 6,0 and 0,8.

So The gradient of this line is 4/3, hence the gradient of the other line perpendicular to this one will be -3/4

Now can I assume that given line is a perpendicular bisector to the hypotenuse and so interesects it at 3,4 (mid point) and hence substitue for c - which i get to 25/4

Thanks.

The locus of all vertices of the right angle is a circle whose diameter is the line segment AB.

1. Midpoint of [TEX]\overline{AB}~\implies~M_{AB}(3,4)[/TEX]

2. Length of the radius. Use Pythagorean theorem to determine the diameter:

[TEX]2r = \sqrt{8^2+6^2}=10~\implies~r = 5[/TEX]

3. Equation of the circle is:

[TEX](x-3)^2+(y-4)^2 = 25[/TEX]

EDIT: See following post, please!

Attachments

• menge_rwd.png
    menge_rwd.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
hb2325 said:
Points A(6,0) and B(O,8) are the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a

Thanks.

1. Draw a right triangle with AB as hypotenuse. The vertex of the right angle has the coordinates (x, y). [TEX]|\overline{AB}| = 10[/TEX]

2. Use Pythagorean theorem to calculate the lengthes of the legs k and j of the right triangle:

[TEX]k^2 = p^2+q^2 = x^2+(8-y)^2[/TEX]

[TEX]j^2=s^2+t^2 = y^2+(x-6)^2[/TEX]

3. Since

[TEX]k^2+j^2=100[/TEX] ... you'll get

[TEX]x^2+(8-y)^2 + y^2+(x-6)^2 = 100 [/TEX] ... expand the brackets:

[TEX]x^2+64-16y+y^2 + y^2+x^2-12x+36 = 100 [/TEX]

[TEX]2x^2-12x+ 2y^2-16y = 0 [/TEX]

[TEX]x^2-6x+ y^2-8y = 0 [/TEX] ... complete the squares:

[TEX]x^2-6x \color{red}{+ 9}+ y^2-8y\color{red}{+ 16} = 0\color{red}{+9+16} [/TEX]

[TEX](x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=5^2[/TEX]

This is the equation of a circle around (3,4) with radius r = 5

Attachments

• locus_rechtewinkel.png
    locus_rechtewinkel.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 57

Related to Finding the equation of vertex of right angle triangle

What is the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle?

The equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle is the coordinates of the point where the three sides of the triangle intersect. It can be represented as (x, y) where x and y are the coordinates of the vertex.

How do you find the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle?

To find the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle, you need to know the coordinates of the other two vertices. Then, you can use the formula (x, y) = (a + c, b + d), where (a, b) and (c, d) are the coordinates of the other two vertices.

Can the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle be negative?

Yes, the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle can have negative coordinates. This means that the vertex is located in the negative quadrant of the coordinate plane.

Can there be more than one vertex in a right angle triangle?

No, by definition, a right angle triangle can only have one vertex. This is the point where all three sides of the triangle intersect.

Is the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle the same as its area?

No, the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle is not the same as its area. The area of a right angle triangle can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height, while the equation of the vertex is the coordinates of the point where the sides intersect.