Finding the equation of vertex of right angle triangle

In summary, the given conversation discusses the relationship between the points (6,0) and (0,8) on the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle and the coordinates of its third vertex (x,y). Through the use of perpendicular lines and the equation of a circle, it is determined that the vertex of the right triangle can be found by solving the equation y^2 - 8y + x^2 - 6x = 0, which represents a circle centered at (3,4) with a radius of 5.
hb2325
Points (6,0) and (O,8) are the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a
right-angled triangle, whose other vertex is at (x,y). What equation relates x
and y?Attempt at solution:

So What I am thinking is that the line will be perpendicular to the line with end points 6,0 and 0,8.

So The gradient of this line is 4/3, hence the gradient of the other line perpendicular to this one will be -3/4

So the equation relating X and y is y = -3/4 x + c ?

Now can I assume that given line is a perpendicular bisector to the hypotenuse and so interesects it at 3,4 (mid point) and hence substitue for c - which i get to 25/4

So y = -3/4 x + 25/4 , This kinda feels wrong and I would appreciate input.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertex definitely doesn't have to be perpendicular to the hypotenuse (and would this perpendicular line segment be going through the point (6,0) or (0,8)?).

You can have the two extra sides being parallel to the x and y-axis respectively, or you can flip the triangle around so the last point is on the other end of the hypotenuse.

So one of the criteria is that the two sides need to be perpendicular to each other (but not necessarily to the hypotenuse). So let's start with that. What equations can we form with the points (6,0), (0,8) and (x,y) given that the lines between (6,0), (x,y) and (0,8), (x,y) must be perpendicular to each other.

Ok so gradient of the first line would be y/(x-6) and 2nd line would be y-8/x and their product should be -1? Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

Last edited:
hb2325 said:
Ok so gradient of the first line would be y/(x-6) and 2nd line would be y-8/x and their product should be -1? Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

You're thinking it the correct way and you have the answer within reach.

DonAntonio

Thanks So all I do is simplify the equation and get y^2 - 8y + x^2 - 6x = 0 and that's it?

hb2325 said:
Thanks So all I do is simplify the equation and get y^2 - 8y + x^2 - 6x = 0 and that's it?

Yes that's correct! But what does this equation represent? Maybe if you were to convert it into a more recognizable form... :wink:

Hint: [itex]x^2+ax=\left(x+\frac{a}{2}\right)^2-\frac{a^2}{4}[/itex]

Circle?

Yes, the equation you found is that of a circle whose center is at (3, 4) and whose radius is 5. The two possible points that could be the vertex of the right angle are on that circle.

Note that the circle equation relates the two vertex points, but other points on the circle define triangles that aren't right triangles.

Thanks - so how I do I find the vertex of the right triangle? I'm kinda confused.

hb2325 said:
Thanks - so how I do I find the vertex of the right triangle? I'm kinda confused.
There are two of them. If you have drawn a sketch of things, their locations are pretty obvious.

Ah cool, I see it now, thanks a lot for your help!

Related to Finding the equation of vertex of right angle triangle

1. What is the vertex of a right angle triangle?

The vertex of a right angle triangle is the point where the two legs of the triangle meet, forming the right angle.

2. How do you find the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle?

To find the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. By setting up and solving this equation, you can find the coordinates of the vertex.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle, or to find the coordinates of the vertex of a right angle triangle.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle?

For example, if we have a right triangle with legs of length 3 and 4, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse, which will also be the distance from the vertex to the origin. The equation would be 3^2 + 4^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse. Solving for c, we get c = 5. Therefore, the coordinates of the vertex would be (0,5).

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the equation of the vertex of a right angle triangle?

Yes, there is a shortcut known as the midpoint formula, which states that the coordinates of the midpoint of a line segment can be found by taking the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of the endpoints. This can be applied to find the vertex of a right angle triangle by taking the average of the x-coordinates of the legs and the average of the y-coordinates of the legs. However, this shortcut only works for right angle triangles and is not applicable to all triangles.