Finding the Equation of an Ellipse

• Thread starter CeceBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the standard form of the equation of the ellipse with vertices (4,0) and (-2,0) and foci (3,0) and (-1,0) is ((x-1)^2 / 16) + ((y^2) / 7) = 1. However, the original attempt at the solution using the formulas c^2 = a^2 + b^2 and ((x-h)^2/a^2) + ((y-k)^2/b^2) = 1 was incorrect. Further research and review of the correct formulas is recommended.
CeceBear

Homework Statement

Find the standard form of the equation of the ellipse with vertices (4,0) and (-2,0) and foci (3,0) and (-1,0).

Homework Equations

((x-h)^2/a^2) + ((y-k)^2/b^2) = 1

c^2 = a^2 + b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got much of anything:
(x)^2 / 8
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I have no problem finding the foci and vertices if given the equation, but I can't seem to understand how to do it the other way around. Is the center (0,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
CeceBear said:

Homework Statement

Find the standard form of the equation of the ellipse with vertices (4,0) and (-2,0) and foci (3,0) and (-1,0).

Homework Equations

((x-h)^2/a^2) + ((y-k)^2/b^2) = 1

c^2 = a^2 + b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got much of anything:
(x)^2 / 8
Right, this isn't much of anything. For one thing, it isn't an equation.
CeceBear said:
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I have no problem finding the foci and vertices if given the equation, but I can't seem to understand how to do it the other way around. Is the center (0,0)?
No.
The first thing you should do is to draw a rough sketch of the ellipse using the given information about the two vertices and the foci. These alone should convince you that the center is not at the origin.

In your equation c2 = a2 + b2, what do the letters a, b, and c represent? From your sketch can you figure out what two of these constants need to be?

Well, I figured out the center should be (1,0), right?
I can't fully sketch the ellipse without knowing the equation.

If the vertices are: (-a, 0) (a, 0)
and the foci are: (-c,0) (c,0)
where c^2 = a^2 + b^2

Then the equation would be: ((x-1)^2 / a^2) + (y^2 / b^2)

Which vertice and focal point do I use to find the a, b, and c values?

CeceBear said:
Well, I figured out the center should be (1,0), right?
Right.
CeceBear said:
I can't fully sketch the ellipse without knowing the equation.
It doesn't need to be very accurate, but put the vertices and foci where they belong.
CeceBear said:
where c^2 = a^2 + b^2
Isn't c the distance from the center to either focus?
CeceBear said:
Then the equation would be: ((x-1)^2 / a^2) + (y^2 / b^2)
That's not an equation since it doesn't have an equals sign.
CeceBear said:
Which vertice and focal point do I use to find the a, b, and c values?
a is the distance from the center to either vertex (vertice is not a word), assuming that the major axis is horizontal rather than vertical.

Would the equation be:

((x-1)^2 / 16) + ((y^2) / 7) = 1

You're just guessing. If you would research the term "ellipse" on the internet, you would obtain the answers to your questions easily.

SteamKing said:
You're just guessing. If you would research the term "ellipse" on the internet, you would obtain the answers to your questions easily.

That wasn't just a guess. I'm trying to figure this out based on the notes and the process my teacher showed me. But obviously that's not working...

CeceBear said:
where c^2 = a^2 + b^2
This isn't correct. In the third equation, c has to be larger than a, but the foci are inside the ellipse. Check your book for the right formulas.

Related to Finding the Equation of an Ellipse

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (called foci) is constant.

How do you find the equation of an ellipse?

The standard form of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. To find the equation, you need to know the coordinates of the center, the lengths of the axes, and whether the ellipse is horizontal or vertical.

What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

A circle is a special case of an ellipse where both foci are at the same point, making the two axes equal in length. This means that the standard form of a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center and r is the radius. An ellipse, on the other hand, has two distinct foci and its axes are of different lengths.

What is the significance of the eccentricity in an ellipse?

The eccentricity of an ellipse, denoted by e, is a measure of how elongated the ellipse is. It is defined as the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the semi-major axis. The closer the eccentricity is to 0, the more circular the ellipse is, and the closer it is to 1, the more eccentric the ellipse becomes.

Can an ellipse have a negative eccentricity?

No, an ellipse cannot have a negative eccentricity. The eccentricity is always a positive number because it is a ratio of distances, and distances cannot be negative. However, an ellipse can have an imaginary eccentricity if it is a non-real ellipse, meaning its foci are complex numbers. This is not a common occurrence and is usually only seen in theoretical mathematics.