Find Equation of Conic with Vector & Foci - Ellipse

In summary, the equation of the conic can be found using the given vector and foci. The foci are not on the same horizontal line, so the expressions for their location will be different. The value for a is incorrect and needs to be recalculated. More information is needed to determine if the conic is an ellipse or a hyperbola.
Lurid

Homework Statement

Given the vector (6,-15) and foci (6,10) (6,-14),
Find the equation of the conic.

Homework Equations

Vector = <6,-15>
(x-h)2/a2 + (y-k)2/b2 = 1

Foci (h+c,k) and (h-c,k)
vertices (h+a,k), (h-a,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

k = 6
h=-2
a=-12
I'm not sure what I'm doing. How do I know that this conic is an ellipse, and not a hyperbola? And how do I find b and c, after finding a?

edit:
How does a vector even relate to the equation of an ellipse?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the point (6, -15) is a point on the ellipse.

The expressions you've written down for the locations of the foci are for when the foci lie on the same horizontal line. In this case, the foci lie on the same vertical line.

Your value for a is wrong.

Related to Find Equation of Conic with Vector & Foci - Ellipse

What is a conic?

A conic is a curve that can be formed by intersecting a plane with a double right circular cone. The four types of conics are circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola.

How is a conic related to an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of conic. It is a closed curve that resembles a flattened circle. It can be formed by intersecting a plane with a cone at an angle that is not perpendicular to the base of the cone.

What is the equation of an ellipse?

The general equation of an ellipse with center at the origin is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1, where a is the length of the semi-major axis and b is the length of the semi-minor axis.

How can I find the equation of an ellipse using vectors and foci?

To find the equation of an ellipse using vectors and foci, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between the foci. Then, use this distance and the vectors representing the major and minor axes to determine the values of a and b in the general equation of an ellipse.

What are the properties of an ellipse?

Some properties of an ellipse include: it has two foci, the sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci is constant, the major axis is the longest diameter of the ellipse, and the minor axis is the shortest diameter of the ellipse.