Finding the Electric Field Inside a Charged Sphere

In summary, the electric field at a point 48% of the way from the center of a sphere with charge density of 0.004C/m^3 is 10.47V.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-18_18-0-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so plugging in the variables, the density should be 0.002

with density known, and the volume of the sphere with radius 10, we can find the mass. (density x volume = mass)

mass is about 16.75 kg

it states the amount of charge is symmetric so I assume the number of protons equals to number of electrons.

dividing the mass 16.75 kg by mass of a proton + electron (1.623 x10^-27 kg + 9.11 x 10^-31) = 1.03 x 10^28 pairs of proton and electron

each pair has charge 2q then, so 1.03 x 10^28 x 2(1.602 x10^-19 C) = 3.3 x 10^9 C in the sphere with radius 10.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By spherically symmetric they mean that it looks the same from any direction. It does not refer to the types of charges involved or their mixture. Given the density function is always positive for any radius, you can assume that the charge is positive everywhere.

There is no mass involved here. The density is in Coulombs per cubic meter. It's a charge density. This density varies with the radial distance from the center, and has the same profile in all directions since it depends only on radius, not direction (hence "spherically symmetric").

You need to work out how much charge (in Coulombs) is contained within a sphere of radius R/2. It's analogous to finding a mass when you integrate the mass density over a volume, but in this case it's charge density you're working with. Note that the density varies with radius: that's the tricky bit.

gneill said:
the density function is always positive for any radius, you can assume that the charge is positive everywhere.

why do we assume this? Can't it have a overall negative charge?

goonking said:
why do we assume this? Can't it have a overall negative charge?
The charge constant in the density formula is ##C = 0.004 C/m^3##. It's a positive constant. The problem doesn't introduce any other details and doing so arbitrarily would only add unnecessary complexity.

so taking out the constants of my integral, i have

(0.002C/m^3) (4π) ∫ r2 dr

my lower and upper bounds are 0 and 10, since the radius of the sphere we are looking at is R/2 = 20/2 = 10

(0.002C/m^3) (4π) r3

(0.002C/m^3) (4π) ((10)3 - (0)3)
I got an answer close to 25.

I don't see the density function in there. Density is not constant throughout the sphere. It varies with the radius according to the given density function.

gneill said:
I don't see the density function in there. Density is not constant throughout the sphere. It varies with the radius according to the given density function.
ok, so it is

C4π ∫(1- (r/20)) (r2) dr

= C4π r( r2 - (r3 /20))

= C4π (r3 - r4/20))

= (.004C/m3) 4π (1000 - 500)

correct?

Check your integration. I think you're forgetting to divide by the exponent value: ##\int x^n dx = \frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}##.

gneill said:
Check your integration. I think you're forgetting to divide by the exponent value: ##\int x^n dx = \frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}##.
oh yes. forgot about that

goonking said:
oh yes. forgot about that
answer should be 16.755 then

goonking said:
answer should be 16.755 then
That still looks off to me. Check again.

gneill said:
That still looks off to me. Check again.

r(r2/2 - (r3/3)/20)

= (r3/2 - (r4/3)/20)

unless I did the integral wrong

[itex]\int_{0}^{\frac{R}{2}}4\pi r^2\rho (r)dr\neq 16.755[/itex]

or is it

∫(1 -r/20)(r2) dr

= ∫ (r2 - r3/20) dr

= ((r2 - r3/20)^2 ) /2

??

goonking said:
or is it

∫(1 -r/20)(r2) dr

= ∫ (r2 - r3/20) dr

= ((r2 - r3/20)^2 ) /2

??
[itex]\int_{0}^{\frac{R}{2}}4\pi r^2\rho (r)dr=4\pi C\int_{0}^{R/2}r^2\left ( 1-\frac{r}{R} \right )dr=4\pi C\int_{0}^{R/2} r^2-\frac{r^3}{R}dr[/itex]
I trust you should be able to do the rest

goonking said:
r(r2/2 - (r3/3)/20)

= (r3/2 - (r4/3)/20)

unless I did the integral wrong
Yeah, I think you need to take another look at what you're integrating:
$$Q = \int_0^{10} 4\pi r^2 C \left(1 - \frac{r}{20} \right) dr$$
Distribute the ##r^2## first, then integrate.

DeldotB said:
[itex]\int_{0}^{\frac{R}{2}}4\pi r^2\rho (r)dr=4\pi C\int_{0}^{R/2}r^2\left ( 1-\frac{r}{R} \right )dr=4\pi C\int_{0}^{R/2} r^2-\frac{r^3}{R}dr[/itex]
I trust you should be able to do the rest
=4πC (103 - 104/80)
= 10.47

Huzzah! Now add the units to your result, perhaps check that the number of significant figures is good, and it'll be done.

gneill said:
Huzzah! Now add the units to your result, perhaps check that the number of significant figures is good, and it'll be done.
Now, considering that same cloud of mysterious charged particles as in the previous problem with the same charge density function, determine the electric field at a point located 48 % of the way to R, (which is still 20 meters). C is also still the same: 0.004 C/m^3

I'm guessing I still need to use an integral for this?

with the bounds 0 to 9.6m (48% of 20 is 9.6)

goonking said:
Now, considering that same cloud of mysterious charged particles as in the previous problem with the same charge density function, determine the electric field at a point located 48 % of the way to R, (which is still 20 meters). C is also still the same: 0.004 C/m^3

I'm guessing I still need to use an integral for this?

with the bounds 0 to 9.6m (48% of 20 is 9.6)

Use Gauss's Law

DeldotB said:
Use Gauss's Law
upload_2015-10-18_22-16-0.png

I'm getting a huge number like 9.24E8

Last edited:
[tex]\oint E\cdot dS=\frac{\sum Q}{\varepsilon _{0}}[/tex] Now, its a sphere, so the dot product of E and the normal surface vector is 1, so you can pull E out and the dor product dissapears: [tex]E\oint dS=\frac{\sum Q}{\varepsilon _{0}}[/tex] Now [itex]\oint dS[/itex] is simply the surface area of your sphere of radius r. [tex]\oint dS=4 \pi r^2[/tex].

Now ask yourself what Q is: its the integral from the last problem, so you must evaluate it at r=.48(20):
[tex]E\oint dS=\frac{\int_{0}^{.48R}4\pi C\left ( r^2-\frac{r^3}{20} \right )}{\varepsilon _{0}} [/tex]

You should get a huge number, think about it: You got around 10 C for your last answer. C is coulombs, which is an enormous amount of charge. Your answer above isn't correct, its off my an order of magnitude. Try re-doing it the way I mentioned above.

Related to Finding the Electric Field Inside a Charged Sphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field inside a sphere?

The formula for calculating the electric field inside a sphere is E = kQr / R^3, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge inside the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the charge distribution inside a sphere affect the electric field?

The charge distribution inside a sphere affects the electric field by creating a symmetrical field that points towards the center of the sphere. This means that the electric field is constant at any point inside the sphere.

3. Can the electric field inside a sphere be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a sphere can be zero if there is no charge inside the sphere or if the charge distribution is symmetrical and cancels out the electric field at any given point inside the sphere.

4. How does the electric field inside a conducting sphere differ from that of a non-conducting sphere?

In a conducting sphere, the electric field inside is zero because the charges inside the sphere are free to move and will distribute themselves evenly on the surface, cancelling out the electric field inside. In a non-conducting sphere, the electric field inside is affected by the charge distribution inside the sphere.

5. Can the charge inside a sphere affect the electric field outside the sphere?

Yes, the charge inside a sphere can affect the electric field outside the sphere. The electric field outside the sphere is affected by the total charge of the sphere, not just the charge inside. This is because the electric field is a result of the net charge, whether it is inside or outside the sphere.