Finding the Domain of f with Restrictions for Range (-2,4)U(4,11)

In summary, to restrict the domain of f(x)=((x^(2)-2x-3)/(x-3)) to ensure that the range is (-2,4)U(4,11), we need to consider both the restrictions from the original function and the simplified function. The domain would be (-infinity, -1)U(-1, 3)U(3, +infinity), and the range would be (-2, 4)U(4, 11).
philippe311

Homework Statement

For f(x)=((x^(2)-2x-3)/(x-3)), restrict the domain of f(find Dom (f) first) so that Rnage(f)=(-2,4)U(4,11)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that when x=3, the function will be undefined. so the domain(f) should be (-infinity,3)U(3,+infinity). I GUESS now I should go to the equation again and factor the nomunator so that I get (x-3)(x+1)/(x-3). then f(x)= x+1. as the Range given above. I have to plug it in and solve for x, RIGHT?
-2<x+1<11
-3<x<10 = the domain of f with te restriction that x is Not equal to 3. Is that right OR am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, you are on the right track! However, it is important to note that when simplifying the function to f(x)=x+1, we are also changing the original function. So the domain of the original function will also change.

To find the domain of the original function, we need to consider both the restrictions from the original function and the simplified function.

For the original function, as you mentioned, x cannot equal 3. But for the simplified function, x can also not equal -1, since this would make the denominator 0.

So the domain of the original function would be (-infinity, -1)U(-1, 3)U(3, +infinity). This ensures that both the original and simplified function are defined.

Now, to find the range, we can plug in the domain values into the simplified function. We get f(x) = x+1, so the range would be (-2, 4)U(4, 11).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Finding the Domain of f with Restrictions for Range (-2,4)U(4,11)

1. What is the definition of a domain in mathematics?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function with restrictions for the range?

To determine the domain of a function with restrictions on the range, you must first identify the restrictions on the range. In this case, the range is restricted to values between -2 and 4, and between 4 and 11. Then, you must determine the set of input values that will produce outputs within these range restrictions. These input values will make up the domain of the function.

3. Can the domain of a function with restrictions for the range be an empty set?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a function with restrictions on the range to be an empty set. This occurs when there are no input values that will produce outputs within the range restrictions. In this case, the function is not defined for any input values and the domain is considered empty.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed interval in the domain of a function?

An open interval in the domain of a function means that the endpoints are not included in the set of possible input values. This is denoted by using parentheses, such as (-2,4). A closed interval means that the endpoints are included in the set of possible input values. This is denoted by using brackets, such as [4,11]. In the given problem, the domain is an open interval followed by a closed interval.

5. How does the domain affect the graph of a function?

The domain of a function determines the set of input values that can be plotted on the x-axis of a graph. Any input values outside of the domain will not be included on the graph. In this case, the domain of (-2,4)U(4,11) means that the graph will have a gap between the values of 4 and 4 on the x-axis, as this is not a part of the domain.