Finding the distance using vectors

• Thread starter physics19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the camel is 25 km from Oasis A and has walked 24 km in a direction 19° south of east and then walked 5.5 km due north. Oasis B is 25 km due east of Oasis A.
physics19
Oasis B is 25 km due east of oasis A. Starting from oasis A, a camel walks 24 km in a direction 19° south of east and then walks 5.5 km due north. How far is the camel then from oasis B?

For this problem I tried to set 3 different vectors. I named the vector A,B,C. Two of the vectors had only a y component while another had both x and y components. After I found out what all the components were I used the data to try to find the x and y components of vector r. After this I took the magnitude of the vector. I thought that I was doing the correct procedure but I am not coming up with the correct response. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do this question in two steps.

1. Figure out how far east the camel went. Figure out how far south the camel went (including the northward part). This involves resolving his displacement vector (whose magnitude and direction you are given) into eastward and southward components.

2. Based on these numbers you know:

how much farther east he has to go to get to oasis B

how much farther north he has to go to get to oasis B

So in other words, you know the components of the vector that describes his displacement from point B. Now you can just use pythagoras to figure out the magnitude of that vector (which is the distance to oasis B). Make sure you draw a picture, it really helps.

physics19 said:
Oasis B is 25 km due east of oasis A. Starting from oasis A, a camel walks 24 km in a direction 19° south of east and then walks 5.5 km due north. How far is the camel then from oasis B?

For this problem I tried to set 3 different vectors. I named the vector A,B,C. Two of the vectors had only a y component while another had both x and y components. After I found out what all the components were I used the data to try to find the x and y components of vector r. After this I took the magnitude of the vector. I thought that I was doing the correct procedure but I am not coming up with the correct response. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Isn't it really an A, B, C, D ? Where:

[tex] \vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = \vec{D}[/tex]

You are given A and B and D. Hence you need to solve for C which is the remaining vector to get you to your destination D.

[tex] \vec{C} = \vec{D} + (-\vec{A}) + (-\vec{B})[/tex]

Ok am I doing this right?

Vector A: -25j
Vector B: 22.69i -7.8136j
Vector C: 5.5j

Vector D= 22.69i -27.3136j

sqrt((22.69^2 )+ (-27.3136^2))= Distance

your directions aren't consistent. The way you have written vector C suggests that north is in the positive y direction. However, the way that you have written vector A suggests that east is in the negative y direction. Both of these statements can't be true.

cepheid said:
your directions aren't consistent. The way you have written vector C suggests that north is in the positive y direction. However, the way that you have written vector A suggests that east is in the negative y direction. Both of these statements can't be true.

Ok thank you.. makes sense.. Did I do everything else right though??

well i fixed A and C to being the same positive values and I still do not get the right answer.

A: 25j
B: 22.6924i -7.813636j
C: 5.5 j

Distance= sqrt ((22.6924^2)+(22.6863^2)

Umm, no, you didn't fix it. A is the direction EAST. C is NORTH. You have EAST and NORTH BOTH going in the positive j direction. Can you see that EAST and NORTH are not the same directions?

Let's CHOOSE a convention. Let's decide that the x-axis runs east-west and that east is the positive direction, and the y-axis runs north-south and that north is the positive direction. Then we have the following vectors given (oasis A is at the origin):vector A: a vector running from oases A to B: +25i (note that is an *i*)

vector B: the camel's first walk: 24cos(19)i - 24sin(19)j

vector C: the camel's second walk: +5.5j

ADD together the camel's two walks to get his current position:

B + C = 24cos(19)i +[5.5 - 24sin(19)]j

Call this new position vector D. What is the distance between D (the camel's position after walking) and oasis B (whose location is given by position vector A)?

physics19 said:
Ok am I doing this right?

Vector A: -25j
Vector B: 22.69i -7.8136j
Vector C: 5.5j

Vector D= 22.69i -27.3136j

sqrt((22.69^2 )+ (-27.3136^2))= Distance

This was not what I meant.

The destination Oasis is Due East. That is where you want to get to. That is given simply by:

D = 25i

The first vector A is the one at the angle so A = (22.7)i + (-7.8)j

The second due north walk is B = 5.5j

You are asked to find C = D +(-A) +(-B)

25 i + 0j = D
-22.7i + 7.8j = -A
0 i - 5.5j = -B

Hence C = 2.3i + 2.3j

Head NE for 2.3*(sqrt(2))

ok thank you all for the help. i understand what i was doing wrong.

Related to Finding the distance using vectors

1. What are vectors and how are they used to find distance?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. To find distance using vectors, we can use the Pythagorean theorem by breaking down the vectors into their x and y components and finding the magnitude of the resultant vector.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if a vector has components of 3 in the x-direction and 4 in the y-direction, its magnitude would be √(3² + 4²) = √25 = 5.

3. Can vectors be used to find distance in three-dimensional space?

Yes, vectors can be used to find distance in three-dimensional space. In this case, we would need to find the magnitude of the resultant vector in three dimensions, which can be calculated using the same method as in two dimensions.

4. How do I find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the y-component over the x-component. This will give us the angle that the vector makes with the positive x-axis.

5. Are there any limitations to using vectors to find distance?

One limitation of using vectors to find distance is that it assumes the motion is happening in a straight line. If the motion is not in a straight line, we would need to use other mathematical methods, such as calculus, to accurately determine the distance traveled.