Finding the Differential Equation for a Free Falling Body with Air Resistance

In summary, the problem asks to use Newton's second law to find the differential equation for the velocity of a falling body with air resistance proportional to its instantaneous velocity. The solution involves setting the net force equal to the mass times acceleration, which can be rewritten as (dv/dt) + (k/m) v = g. The net force is found by adding the weight (mg) and the air resistance (-kv), and the resulting equation can be solved for the velocity of the body at time t.
trojansc82

Homework Statement

Under some circumstances a falling body B of mass m encounters air resistance proportional to its instantaneous velocity v. Use Newton's second law to find the differential equation for the velocity of v of the body at time t. Recall that acceleration a = dv/dt. Assume in this case that the positive direction is downward.

Homework Equations

F = ma

a = dv/dt

air resistance = kv

kv = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

kv = mg (dv/dt)

(dv/dt) (k/m) v = g

The solution in the text is (dv/dt) + (k/m) v = g.

I'm failing to understand why (dv/dt) is added to (k/m).

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the object? What's the net force?

Doc Al said:
What forces act on the object? What's the net force?

Net force = mg + km?

trojansc82 said:
Net force = mg + km?
mg, yes. But what is 'km'? There's a force proportional to the velocity, so show that. (What direction--and thus sign--does it have?)

Doc Al said:
mg, yes. But what is 'km'? There's a force proportional to the velocity, so show that. (What direction--and thus sign--does it have?)

So then v = mg?

I'm really confused...I don't feel like this question provides enough information to set up an equation.

I'm only able to set up this equation:

F = ma, letting F = kv, m = mg, and a = (dv/dt).

kv = mg (dv/dt)

Simplified:

(dv/dt) (k/m) v = g

trojansc82 said:
So then v = mg?
:confused: The units don't even match. (You can't set a velocity equal to a force.)

I'm really confused...I don't feel like this question provides enough information to set up an equation.

I'm only able to set up this equation:

F = ma, letting F = kv, m = mg, and a = (dv/dt).
There are two forces acting: One is the weight (mg); the other is the air resistance, which you correctly have as kv (but what sign should it have?).

(Setting m = mg doesn't make much sense!)

So write the two forces, add them up to get the net force (pay attention to the signs of the forces), then apply ΣF = ma = m(dv/dt). That will give you the equation you need.

Doc Al said:
There are two forces acting: One is the weight (mg); the other is the air resistance, which you correctly have as kv (but what sign should it have?).

Net force = mg -kv ?

trojansc82 said:
Net force = mg -kv ?
Exactly! Continue.

Related to Finding the Differential Equation for a Free Falling Body with Air Resistance

What is a free falling body?

A free falling body is an object that is only affected by gravity. This means that it is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces, and it is falling towards the ground at a constant rate.

What is the acceleration of a free falling body?

The acceleration of a free falling body is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that the velocity of the object will increase by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls.

How does air resistance affect a free falling body?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the acceleration of a free falling body. This is because the air molecules push against the object, creating a force in the opposite direction of its motion. As the object falls faster, the air resistance also increases, eventually reaching a point of equilibrium where the object falls at a constant speed.

What is the equation for calculating the distance of a free falling body?

The equation for calculating the distance of a free falling body is d = 1/2gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling. This equation assumes that the object is starting from rest.

What other factors can affect the motion of a free falling body?

Aside from air resistance, other factors that can affect the motion of a free falling body include the mass and shape of the object, the gravitational pull of other nearby objects, and any external forces acting on the object, such as wind or a person pushing it. The shape of the object can also affect the amount of air resistance it experiences, altering its motion.