Finding the derivative, quotient rule with natural log function.

In summary, the quotient rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is a ratio of two other functions. It can be applied to natural log functions by rewriting them as the quotient of two functions and using the formula. This rule can be used for any type of function, and another method called the product rule can also be used for finding the derivative of a quotient. To check the answer, one can use other methods to find the derivative and compare them to the one found using the quotient rule.
HHenderson90

Homework Statement

Find y' of
y= 1-3ln(7x)/x^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the quotient rule and got:
y'=x^4*d/dx(1-3ln(7x)-(1-3ln(7x)*d/dx(x^4)/(x^4)2

which is: x^4*(0-3*1/7x*7)-(1-3ln(7x))*4x^3/x^8
simplified to: 3x^4/x-1+3ln(7x)*4x^3
3x^3-4x^3+12x^3ln(7x)/x^8
take out the x^3 from the denominator and the numerator and I get the answer:

y=-1+12ln(7x)/x^5
The website I use to do my calculus homework says this is wrong, where is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
HHenderson90 said:

Homework Statement

Find y' of
y= 1-3ln(7x)/x^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the quotient rule and got:
y'=x^4*d/dx(1-3ln(7x)-(1-3ln(7x)*d/dx(x^4)/(x^4)2

which is: x^4*(0-3*1/7x*7)-(1-3ln(7x))*4x^3/x^8
simplified to: 3x^4/x-1+3ln(7x)*4x^3
3x^3-4x^3+12x^3ln(7x)/x^8
take out the x^3 from the denominator and the numerator and I get the answer:

y=-1+12ln(7x)/x^5
The website I use to do my calculus homework says this is wrong, where is my error?

You dropped a minus sign. You should get -3x^3-4x^3. Not 3x^3-4x^3.

Related to Finding the derivative, quotient rule with natural log function.

1. What is the quotient rule in calculus?

The quotient rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a function that is a ratio of two other functions. It states that the derivative of the quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all over the square of the denominator.

2. How do you apply the quotient rule to a natural log function?

To apply the quotient rule to a natural log function, you first need to rewrite the function as the quotient of two functions. For example, if you have ln(x), you can rewrite it as (lnx)/1. Then, you can use the quotient rule to find the derivative by taking the derivative of the numerator (lnx) and the denominator (1) and plugging them into the formula.

3. Can the quotient rule be used for any type of function?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used for any type of function, as long as it can be written as the quotient of two other functions. This includes polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and more.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the derivative of a quotient?

Yes, there is another method called the product rule, which is used when the function is a product of two other functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

5. How can I check my answer when using the quotient rule?

You can check your answer by using the quotient rule to find the derivative of the function and then comparing it to the derivative found using other methods, such as the product rule or by simplifying the function and using the power rule. If the answers match, then you can be confident that you have correctly applied the quotient rule.