Finding the Derivative of Trigonometric Functions with Exponents?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first derivative of 5^(sin(theta)) with respect to theta. The first step is to rewrite the expression as y = 5^sin(theta) and then use implicit differentiation by taking logs of both sides. The other option is to use the chain rule, which involves knowing the derivative of 5x. Both methods will result in the derivative with respect to theta.
Taryn
hey I have this question and have looked it up in the textbook and web sites but can't seem to find what to do!
Any assistance would be appreciated thanks!

Find the first derivative w.r.t the relevant variable
5^(sin(theta))

I am guessin the relevant variable is theta but I don't even no where to go from that!

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing is to write it as

y = 5^sin(theta)

Then take logs of both sides and differentiate implicitly to get dy/dtheta. :smile:

haha, that's helpful! I don't know y I didnt think of that, thanks so much! Appreciate it!

Or, if you're feeling less industrious, the chain rule also works.

But to use the chain rule, you have to know that the derivative of 5x is (ln(5))5x.

Related to Finding the Derivative of Trigonometric Functions with Exponents?

What is trigonometric differentiation?

Trigonometric differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It involves using trigonometric identities and the rules of differentiation to find the rate of change of a function.

What are the basic rules of trigonometric differentiation?

The basic rules of trigonometric differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of a function that contains trigonometric functions, by breaking it down into simpler functions and applying the corresponding rule.

Why is trigonometric differentiation important?

Trigonometric differentiation is important because it is a key tool in many areas of science and engineering. It is used to model and analyze various natural phenomena, such as the motion of waves and vibrations, and to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common mistakes made in trigonometric differentiation?

Some common mistakes made in trigonometric differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, incorrectly applying the product or quotient rule, and forgetting to use trigonometric identities to simplify the function before differentiating. It is important to carefully follow the steps and rules of differentiation to avoid these errors.

How can I improve my skills in trigonometric differentiation?

The best way to improve your skills in trigonometric differentiation is to practice solving a variety of problems. You can also study and memorize the basic rules and identities, and familiarize yourself with common mistakes. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.