Finding the Curve with Least Squares Approximation: 15 hrs

In summary: It would be better for you to read and learn from one of those rather than expecting someone to spoon-feed you.In summary, the conversation discusses using a curve of the form Y ≈ ae^{-bx} to predict a value after 15 hours, and the use of least squares approximation to fit the given data. The user also asks for suggested readings on how to compute a least squares approximation, with the response suggesting the use of Google for finding explanatory articles.
twoski

Homework Statement

Given this data:

hours / value
-----------
2 | 1.6
4 | 1.5
6 | 1.45
8 | 1.42
10 | 1.38
12 | 1.36

fit a curve of the form Y ≈ [itex]ae^{-bx}[/itex]

What value can you predict after 15 hours?

The Attempt at a Solution

So i can rewrite the equation as Y ≈ log(a)-bx by taking the logarithm of the original equation.

How do i go about doing a least squares approximation of this? Our lecture notes have no examples that actually show how we are supposed to compute these coefficients.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation rewrite is wrong:

If y = a e^(-bx) then you must take logarithms of BOTH sides to obtain:

LN(y) = LN(a) - b*x

You can use least squares for linear equations to fit the data.

Are there any suggested readings for actually figuring out how to compute a least squares approximation? I've read a handful of different notes and I'm still stumped. It would be nice if there was just a nice step by step methodology to this.

twoski said:
Are there any suggested readings for actually figuring out how to compute a least squares approximation? I've read a handful of different notes and I'm still stumped. It would be nice if there was just a nice step by step methodology to this.

Google is your friend. There are hundreds of explanatory articles, ranging from very elementary to very advanced.

Related to Finding the Curve with Least Squares Approximation: 15 hrs

1. What is the least squares approximation method?

The least squares approximation method is a mathematical technique used to find the best fitting curve for a set of data points. It minimizes the sum of the squared distances between the data points and the curve, resulting in the smallest possible error.

2. How does the least squares approximation method work?

The method works by finding the coefficients of a mathematical function that can be used to represent the data points. This function is then adjusted iteratively until the sum of the squared distances between the data points and the curve is minimized.

3. What types of data can be analyzed using the least squares approximation method?

The method can be used for any type of data that can be represented by a mathematical function, such as linear, quadratic, or exponential data. It is commonly used in fields like statistics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are the advantages of using the least squares approximation method?

The method is simple and easy to understand, and it can provide a good estimate of the underlying trend in the data. It also allows for the detection of outliers, which can be helpful in identifying data points that may be incorrect or unreliable.

5. Are there any limitations to the least squares approximation method?

While the method can provide a good estimate of the trend in the data, it may not always accurately represent the true relationship between the variables. It also assumes that the errors in the data are normally distributed, which may not always be the case.