Finding the Continuous Intervals for a function

In summary, $f(x)=tan(2x)$ is continuous on all real numbers except at $x=\frac{n \pi}{4}$, where $n$ is any odd number.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
I need some help find some continuous intervals for $f(x)=tan(2x)$. I know there are vertical asympotes when x=pi/4+2*pi*n for positive integers. Thank you for your help.

CBarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
I need some help find some continuous intervals for $f(x)=tan(2x)$. I know there are vertical asympotes when x=pi/4+2*pi*n for positive integers. Thank you for your help.

CBarker1

$f(x)=tan(2x)$ is continuous everywhere except the vertical asymptotes. To find the vertical asymptotes,we set the denominator $0$.So,as $tan(2x)=\frac{sin(2x)}{cos(2x)}$,we set $cos(2x)=0 \Rightarrow x=\pm \frac{\pi}{4},\pm \frac{3\pi}{4},...$
Therefore,$tan(2x)$ is continuous everywhere except at $x$,where $x=\frac{n \pi}{4}$,where $n$ odd numbers.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Continuous Intervals for a function

1. What is the purpose of finding the continuous intervals for a function?

The purpose of finding the continuous intervals for a function is to determine the portions of the function where it is continuous, meaning there are no breaks or jumps in the graph. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and making accurate predictions.

2. How do you find the continuous intervals for a function algebraically?

To find the continuous intervals algebraically, you need to first find the points where the function is undefined (discontinuous). Then, use these points to create intervals and test the function within each interval. If the function remains continuous within the interval, then it is a continuous interval.

3. Are there any graphical methods for finding the continuous intervals?

Yes, there are graphical methods for finding the continuous intervals. One way is to graph the function and visually identify any breaks or jumps in the graph. Another method is to use the "connect the dots" approach, where you draw a line through the points on the graph and see if there are any breaks or gaps in the line.

4. Can a function have more than one continuous interval?

Yes, a function can have more than one continuous interval. In fact, most functions have multiple continuous intervals. This is because functions can have different behaviors in different regions, causing them to be continuous in some intervals and discontinuous in others.

5. How can finding the continuous intervals help in solving real-world problems?

Finding the continuous intervals can help in solving real-world problems by providing a better understanding of the behavior of the function. This can be useful in making predictions and analyzing data. For example, in economics, finding the continuous intervals of a demand curve can help in determining the optimal price for a product.