Finding the Centre and Radius of Convergence of Power Series: Explained

In summary, In this conversation, an expert explains how to find the centre and radius of convergence for a power series. They use the ratio test to find the limit as n approaches infinity. The centre becomes i when the limit is reached.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I need someone to explain to me how to find the centre and radius of convergence of power series.
I got the working and the answers but there are some things I don't understand.

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(4i)^n(z-i)^n}{(n+1)(n+2)}$$

Using the ratio test, we got
$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{4i(z-i)(n+1)}{n+3}$$=4i(z-i)

Ok, in this part, why is the limit 4i(z-i)? Don't we have to divide all the terms by n?

And the final answer is: $$R=1/4, z=i$$

Why does the centre become i?

Physics news on Phys.org
A power series expansion is an infinite series
\begin{equation*}
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (z-c)^n,
\end{equation*}
where ##a_n## are coefficients and ##c \in \mathbb{C}## is the center (the point we are expanding about).

I think you can figure out why
\begin{equation*}
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{4i(z-i)(n+1)}{n+3} = 4i(z-i).
\end{equation*}
The easiest might be to substitute ##k = f(n)##, for some well-chosen function ##f##.

Likes 1 person
MissP.25_5 said:
Hello.
I need someone to explain to me how to find the centre and radius of convergence of power series.
I got the working and the answers but there are some things I don't understand.

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(4i)^n(z-i)^n}{(n+1)(n+2)}$$

Using the ratio test, we got
$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{4i(z-i)(n+1)}{n+3}$$=4i(z-i)
This is incorrect. The "ratio test" only applies to series of non-negative real numbers. In order to apply the ratio test to more general series, you must take the absolute value
[tex]\lim{m\to\infty} \frac{4|z- i|(n+1)}{n+ 3}= 4|z- i|\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n+1}{n+ 3}[/tex].

Ok, in this part, why is the limit 4i(z-i)? Don't we have to divide all the terms by n?
Well, what do you get when you "divide all term" of [itex]\frac{n+1}{n+ 3}[/itex] by n?

And the final answer is: $$R=1/4, z=i$$

Why does the centre become i?
The "ratio" test says that series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] converges if [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|< 1[/tex]. What is [tex]\lim_{\n to\infty}4|z- i|\frac{n+1}{n+ 3}[/tex]? For what values of z is that less than 1?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, what do you get when you "divide all term" of [itex]\frac{n+1}{n+ 3}[/itex] by n?

The "ratio" test says that series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] converges if [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|< 1[/tex]. What is [tex]\lim_{\n to\infty}4|z- i|\frac{n+1}{n+ 3}[/tex]? For what values of z is that less than 1?

The answer to your first question is 1 and for the second, z≤i. Right?

"[itex]z\le i[/itex]" doesn't even make sense. The complex numbers are NOT an "ordered" field. You keep forgetting the absolute value!

Related to Finding the Centre and Radius of Convergence of Power Series: Explained

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ an(x-c)n, where an are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of infinite polynomial that can be used to represent a function.

2. What is the centre of convergence?

The centre of convergence is the value c in the power series formula where the series converges for all values of x within a certain radius. It is the point around which the power series is most accurate in representing the function.

3. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence, denoted by R, is the distance from the centre of convergence to the point where the series no longer converges. It determines the interval of convergence for the power series and is typically a positive real number or infinity.

4. How do you find the centre and radius of convergence?

To find the centre and radius of convergence, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the nth term of the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges; if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

5. Why is it important to find the centre and radius of convergence?

Knowing the centre and radius of convergence allows us to determine the interval of convergence for a power series, which tells us the values of x for which the series accurately represents the function. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of the series, which is crucial in many applications, such as in approximating functions and solving differential equations.