Finding the best interval of solutions for N (using epsilon)

If x - 2 < 0, what is |x-2|?In summary, the problem is to find the best interval of solutions for N given the limit as x approaches negative infinity of (-5x/(x-2)) equaling -5. Using the equation |(-5x/(x-2)) - (-5)| < ε, we can simplify to |-10/(x-2)| < ε and then obtain the inequality |x-2| > 10/ε. As x approaches negative infinity, x-2 will be negative. Therefore, the interval should be NE [(10/ε) -2, -∞), as the answer suggests -2
tesla93
The problem is:

lim as x→- ∞ (-5x/x-2)=-5

And I have to find the best interval of solutions for N

Relevant equations:
if x>N then |(-5x/x-2)-(-5)|<ε

My attempt:

|(-5x/x-2) - (-5)|<ε

|-10/x-2|<ε

x-2< 10/ε

as x→-∞ we can assume that x-2<0

x-2<10/ε

x< (10/ε)+2

therefore, the interval should be NE [(10/ε) +2, -∞)

however, the answer says that it should be -2 not +2. I don't know what I am doing wrong, if anyone can help that would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tesla93 said:
The problem is:

lim as x→- ∞ (-5x/x-2)=-5

Of course, you should write that fraction as -5x /(x-2) here. Use parentheses!

And I have to find the best interval of solutions for N

Relevant equations:
if x>N then |(-5x/x-2)-(-5)|<ε

My attempt:

|(-5x/x-2) - (-5)|<ε

|-10/x-2|<ε

At this step you have 10/|x-2| < ε

x-2< 10/ε

No. You should have |x-2| > 10/ε. You need absolute value signs and the inequality is reversed.

as x→-∞ we can assume that x-2<0

x-2<10/ε

If x - 2 < 0, what is |x-2|?

Related to Finding the best interval of solutions for N (using epsilon)

1. How do I determine the best interval of solutions for N?

The best interval of solutions for N can be determined by first setting a desired level of precision, or epsilon, and then finding the smallest interval that contains all possible solutions within that precision. This can be done through various methods such as using a graphing calculator or manually calculating the values.

2. What is the importance of using epsilon when finding the best interval of solutions for N?

Epsilon is important because it allows us to specify the level of accuracy or precision that we want in our solutions. This helps avoid rounding errors or inaccuracies that may arise in calculations and ensures that our interval of solutions is as precise as possible.

3. Can I use any value for epsilon when finding the best interval of solutions for N?

While epsilon can vary depending on the problem, it is recommended to choose a small value that is appropriate for the given context. This will help to minimize the size of the interval and provide a more accurate solution.

4. Is there a limit to the number of solutions that can be found within the best interval for N?

No, there is no limit to the number of solutions that can be found within the best interval for N. However, the interval may become larger as the number of solutions increases, so it is important to choose an appropriate value for epsilon to keep the interval as small as possible.

5. Can I use the same method for finding the best interval of solutions for N for any type of problem?

While the concept of using epsilon to find the best interval of solutions can be applied to many problems, the specific method used may vary depending on the type of problem. It is important to consider the context and choose a suitable approach for finding the best interval of solutions for N.