Finding the Area of an Analytical Geometry Shape

In summary, my friend was doing an analytical geometry problem and a shape appeared that I wanted to find the area of. I found the area and I'm now working to find an equation for the nth area as the size of the shape changes for all integers. After doing the math I come to this sequence, (4/3), (32/3), (108/3). I stopped at the third solution because the math is a little time consuming and repetitive. Is there an equation that will represent the nth solution? Just hoping to get some help. Thanks.
kevinnn
My friend was doing an analytical geometry problem and a shape appeared that I wanted to find the area of with my new knowledge of integrals. I found the area and I'm now working to find an equation for the nth area as the size of the shape changes for all integers. After doing the math I come to this sequence, (4/3), (32/3), (108/3). I stopped at the third solution because the math is a little time consuming and repetitive. Is there an equation that will represent the nth solution? Just hoping to get some help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kevinnn! :smile:

i've no idea what your area is,

but if you divide your numbers by 4/3, you get 1, 8, 27 :wink:

Likes 1 person
You should understand that, just because the first few terms of a sequence have a simple relation, it is not necessary that the rest of the sequence have that relation. The classical example is the "circle region" problem: Place n points around the circumference of a circle, NOT uniformly spaced, so that when you draw all lines connecting any two of those points, no more than two such lines intersect in a single point. How many sectors does that divide the interior of the circle into?

n= 0; 1. n= 2; 2. n= 3; 4. n= 4; 8. n= 5; 16, n= 6; 32. n= 7, 63.
The first 7 terms are [tex]2^{n-1}[/tex] but that fails for n> 6.

Likes 1 person
Yes I'm aware of the fact that just because it appears that a formula for the nth term in a sequence can be found it may not always exist. Do you by any chance know if it can be shown that a nth term expression for a sequence exists or doesn't exist? Possibly mathematical induction? Any other method that a first semester calculus, going into second semester, could understand? Thanks.

Got it.

Stat plot on a graphing calculator almost always yields insight. Once you see the points as
(1, 4/3) (2, 32/3) (3, 108/3)
where (x,y), things get better.

So basically, from the graph I got, I accidentally plotted the points as their inverses where (y,x) and saw that it was definitely some power function. Quick switch to (x,y) did a power regression on the calculator (although this usually only helps you get to a rough idea, this worked great) and got a pretty obvious answer that I was too lazy to see right off the bat.

A=(4/3)(n^3)

Should've been obvious... That matches the data points perfectly for this set, try two more calculations by hand to verify that this works moderately well, although you could calculate a point off in the distance by hand, like when n=30 to see if it still works for high n.

Related to Finding the Area of an Analytical Geometry Shape

1. How do you find the area of a triangle in analytical geometry?

In order to find the area of a triangle in analytical geometry, you need to know the coordinates of its vertices. Then, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height. The base can be found by calculating the distance between two vertices on the x-axis, and the height can be found by calculating the distance between the third vertex and a point on the opposite side, perpendicular to the base. Plug in these values to the formula to find the area of the triangle.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram in analytical geometry?

The formula for finding the area of a parallelogram in analytical geometry is A = b * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height. The base can be found by calculating the distance between two parallel sides, and the height can be found by calculating the distance between a point on one of the sides and the opposite side, perpendicular to the base. Plug in these values to the formula to find the area of the parallelogram.

3. Can you find the area of a circle using analytical geometry?

Yes, the area of a circle can be found using analytical geometry. The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = π * r^2, where r is the radius of the circle. To find the radius, you can use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the center of the circle and any point on the circumference. Then, plug in this value to the formula to find the area of the circle.

4. How do you find the area of a sector in analytical geometry?

To find the area of a sector in analytical geometry, you need to know the radius of the circle and the central angle of the sector. Then, you can use the formula A = (θ/360) * π * r^2, where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the circle. To find the central angle, you can use the slope formula to calculate the slope of the line connecting the center of the circle and the two points on the circumference that form the sector. Then, use inverse tangent to find the angle. Plug in these values to the formula to find the area of the sector.

5. Is there a general formula for finding the area of any shape in analytical geometry?

No, there is not a single formula that can be used to find the area of any shape in analytical geometry. Different shapes have different formulas for finding their areas, as seen in the previous questions. It is important to know the specific formula for the shape you are working with in order to accurately calculate its area.