Areas Bounded by Trigonometric Functions.

In summary, the problem being worked on is to find the area of a shape formed by the intersection of the graphs of sin(x) and -sin(x) on the interval [0,pi]. After calculating the area for this shape, the individual areas under the curves for sin(x) and -sin(x) were added to find the total area. The individual areas were then generalized for any integer value of n, resulting in the equation An=4n. Further exploration was done with the tangent function, resulting in the same equation for finding the area on the interval [0,pi/4]. The use of intervals that result in simpler equations and numbers was preferred in this problem.
kevinnn
I will do my best to describe the problem I am working on. The problem is not from a textbook or anything but something I am working on independently to strengthen my first year calculus knowledge.

What I did is I took sin(x) and -sin(x) and graphed them together. Sin(x) and -sin(x) intersect at 0 and pi/2. These intersections will create a shape that resembles a ellipse and that is what I'm working with. What I did is I calculated the area of that shape. To do this I just found the area under the curve for sin(x) between 0 and pi/2 and added the absolute value of the area under the curve for -sin(x) from 0 to pi/2. I wanted to see how the area would increase as I increased/decreased the amplitude and period of the functions. I did this and found a very simple equation that is the same for increasing/decreasing amplitude and period. If I increase/decrease the period or amplitude of both functions equally, such as making the amplitude of both functions 3 or increasing period to 2pi I found an equation for the nth area, where n is any integer. An=4n. So if the amplitude of the function is 5, that is my n. I then did tangent and the same equation arises. So my question is, would this be expected? I was also surprised that the numbers would be so simple. Just a little collaboration on the problem would be appreciated. I'm looking for relations and things like that involving areas of trigonometric functions and put these relations into their most general form. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinnn said:
I will do my best to describe the problem I am working on. The problem is not from a textbook or anything but something I am working on independently to strengthen my first year calculus knowledge.

What I did is I took sin(x) and -sin(x) and graphed them together. Sin(x) and -sin(x) intersect at 0 and pi/2.
Let's start here.

Let ##x\in[0,2\pi)##. There are two values of ##x## for which ##\sin(x)=-\sin(x)##. One of them is ##x=0##. What's the other value?

Hint: ##\sin\frac{\pi}{2}=1\neq -1=-\sin\frac{\pi}{2}##. :wink:

Maybe kevinnn meant ##\pi## instead of what he wrote: ##\pi/2##. The graphs of y = sin(x) and y = -sin(x) intersect at integer multiples of ##\pi##.

I'm sorry that was a bad typo. I meant to say pi. I did all the calculations using pi because I wanted the shape created by the two graphs to be closed.

That is wonderful that you are experimenting and trying to discover things. That is an excellent way to gain a deeper understanding of calculus.

One thing that may be of benefit is the following property of integrals:
[itex]\int c f(x) dx [/itex] = [itex]c \int f(x) dx [/itex]

- Junaid Mansuri

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Junaid. I used this property a lot during simplification processes. I am now trying to figure out the results of the problem. The final equation is so simple and it is interesting to me that the tangent function would have the same equation for finding areas as the sine function. The mathematician I was talking to earlier was interested in the problem and wanted to look deeper into it but we got kicked out of the building because it was closing time. I figured talking on here would be a good thing because there is not just one mathematician I can talk to but many.

hehe, very cool. I'm curious what interval you are using to find the area bounded by the tangent function since it doesn't define a closed region in and of itself.

For the tangent function I'm using the interval [0,pi/4]. It just looked like the most logical interval because like you said, I can't do [0,pi/2) or a similar interval. It just appeared to me that working with intervals that result in nice answers, such as tan(pi/4)=1 would result in nice equations and numbers to work with. Would you have done something different?

Related to Areas Bounded by Trigonometric Functions.

1. What are "Areas Bounded by Trigonometric Functions"?

"Areas Bounded by Trigonometric Functions" refers to the concept in mathematics of finding the area of a region that is bounded by one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

2. How do you find the area bounded by trigonometric functions?

The area bounded by trigonometric functions can be found by using integration techniques, specifically the definite integral. The bounds of the integral will be determined by the points of intersection between the trigonometric functions.

3. What is the significance of finding the area bounded by trigonometric functions?

Finding the area bounded by trigonometric functions is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the area of a shape in engineering or physics problems. It also helps to understand the behavior and properties of trigonometric functions.

4. What are some common techniques used to find the area bounded by trigonometric functions?

Some common techniques used to find the area bounded by trigonometric functions include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, and integration by parts. It may also be helpful to graph the functions to visualize the area being calculated.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the area bounded by trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the area bounded by trigonometric functions. For example, if the bounded region is above the x-axis, the integral will be positive. If the bounded region is below the x-axis, the integral will be negative. Also, if the bounded region is between two different trigonometric functions, the integral may need to be split into multiple parts.