Finding the area bounded by the curves

In summary: So evaluate the integral with respect to $x$?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area bounded by the curves y = 1/2x^2 and x^2 + y^2 = 8. It includes a discussion on finding the intersection points and how to approach the problem. The conversation also touches on solving a quadratic equation and setting up the integral for finding the area.
shamieh
So it's been a while since I've done one of these problems. Need to make sure I am using the right procedures to solve it.

Q)Find the area bounded by the curve $y = \frac{1}{2}x^2$ and $x^2 + y^2 = 8$

So first thing I did was plug in numbers to get the two graphs. It looks like they intersect at the point (3,3), I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong on that.

Don't i need to set the two equations equal to each other to find the points of intersection?

So would I be correct in saying: $\frac{1}{2}x^2 = x^2 + y^2 - 8$?

Proceeding through I get:
$x^2 = 2x^2 + 2y^2 - 8$
$=x^2 + 2y^2 - 16$ <-- I know this is simple but I'm stuck because the two different variables are throwing me off (x & y)

Any advice or guidance would be great. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you need to improve your method of finding the intersection points. Setting $x^{2}/2=x^{2}+y^{2}-8$ is comparing apples and oranges. Instead, you need to set $y_{1}=y_{2}$. That is, the $y$ coordinate from one graph must equal the $y$ coordinate from the other graph. So, you should set $x^{2}/2= \pm \sqrt{8-x^{2}}$. Or, a slightly more clever way would be to eliminate $x^{2}$: $2y=x^{2}$, so $2y+y^{2}=8$. In any case, double-check any coordinates you get against your original functions. $(3,3)$, e.g., is not on either of your curves!

I see. So now I have $\frac{x^2}{2} = +- \sqrt{8x - 2}$ So now I just solve correct?

so I need to do this? $(\frac{x^2}{2})^2 = (\sqrt{8 - x^2})^2$

Because now I end up with this ugly thing: $\frac{x^4}{4} = 8 - x^2$ and what should I do with that? multiply by $\frac{4}{1}$ to get rid of the fraction or what? I'm a bit confused. I noticed you eliminated $x^2$ easily but I'm lost on how exactly you did that to get $2y + y^2 - 8$.

shamieh said:
I see. So now I have $\frac{x^2}{2} = +- \sqrt{8x - 2}$ So now I just solve correct?

so I need to do this? $(\frac{x^2}{2})^2 = (\sqrt{8 - x^2})^2$

Because now I end up with this ugly thing: $\frac{x^4}{4} = 8 - x^2$ and what should I do with that?

This is a quadratic in $x^{2}$, so solve for $x^{2}$ first using the quadratic formula, and then solve each of those (if they are positive!) for $x$.

multiply by $\frac{4}{1}$ to get rid of the fraction or what? I'm a bit confused. I noticed you eliminated $x^2$ easily but I'm lost on how exactly you did that to get $2y + y^2 - 8$.

You have two equations:
\begin{align*}
y&= \frac{1}{2} x^{2} \\
8&=x^{2}+y^{2}.
\end{align*}
Take the first equation and solve for $x^{2}$ to obtain $2y=x^{2}$. Then, in the second equation, everywhere you see an $x^{2}$, replace with $2y$. You get
\begin{align*}
8&=2y+y^{2} \\
y^{2}+2y-8&=0.
\end{align*}
Then solve this quadratic.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying correctly.

I need to set up as $y_1 = y_2$

So I have $y = \frac{1}{2}x^2$ and $x^2 + y^2 = 8$

So I can easily multiply by the reciprocal and get $2y = x^2$

Thus: $2y + y^2 = 8 = y^2 + 2y -8 = (y - 2)(y + 4)$

So then would my integral be from $\int^{-4}_{2}$ and won't that be a problem?

shamieh said:
So let me see if I understand what you are saying correctly.

I need to set up as $y_1 = y_2$

So I have $y = \frac{1}{2}x^2$ and $x^2 + y^2 = 8$

So I can easily multiply by the reciprocal and get $2y = x^2$

Thus: $2y + y^2 = 8 = y^2 + 2y -8 = (y - 2)(y + 4)$

So then would my integral be from $\int^{-4}_{2}$ and won't that be a problem?

I think you mean $ \displaystyle \int_{-4}^{2} g(y) \, dy$. That would be if it makes more sense for you to divvy up the $y$ interval. Can you draw the region enclosed?

Wait? I thought that $y^2 + 2y - 8 = (y - 2)(y + 4)$ THUS $y = 2, y = - 4$ So do you just make the integral starting from the lowest number to the largest number or do you have to put them on the integral in the order you solved them? For example since $y - 2 = 2$, and that came first would that mean I would be starting from $2$ and ending at a $-4$? OR are you just saying that it is from $\int^{-4}_2$ and you just put a $(-)$ in front of the integral to change it to $\int^2_{-4}$

shamieh said:
Wait? I thought that $y^2 + 2y - 8 = (y - 2)(y + 4)$ THUS $y = 2, y = - 4$ So do you just make the integral starting from the lowest number to the largest number or do you have to put them on the integral in the order you solved them? For example since $y - 2 = 2$, and that came first would that mean I would be starting from $2$ and ending at a $-4$? OR are you just saying that it is from $\int^{-4}_2$ and you just put a $(-)$ in front of the integral to change it to $\int^2_{-4}$

Generally, you put the values from lowest to highest. However, the bigger question right now is whether you want to integrate w.r.t. $x$ or $y$. For each of the $y$ values you found, you need to find the corresponding $x$ values. You also need to draw the region so you can decide how you want to integrate.

Right. So I will have horizontal asymptotes both at $-4$ and $2$. So I want to say top function minus the bottom function. So $\int^2_{-4} (2y) - (y^2 - 8) \,dy$

shamieh said:
Right. So I will have horizontal asymptotes both at $-4$ and $2$. So I want to say top function minus the bottom function. So $\int^2_{-4} (2y) - (y^2 - 8) \,dy$

I'm afraid not. You need to do two things before you can possibly continue correctly:

1. You need to find the $x$-coordinates corresponding to the $y$ coordinates for which you solved.
2. You need to DRAW THE REGION!

so, would I have $\int^2_{-2} (\sqrt{8 - x^2}) - (\frac{x^2}{2}) \, dx$ ?

And if I split those up into $TWO$ different integrals. I did u substitution for the first one, $\sqrt{8-x^2}$ and I'm ending up with 0 once I update the limits...Is that incorrect?

You finally do have a correct integral. $u$-sub won't work on the first integral, because you don't have a derivative of any inside function present. I would go with a trig substitution. The $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{2}(x^{2}/2) \, dx$ integral should be straight-forward.

Related to Finding the area bounded by the curves

1. What is the definition of "area bounded by the curves"?

The area bounded by the curves refers to the region enclosed by two or more curves on a graph. This can be calculated by finding the integral of the function that represents the upper curve minus the integral of the function that represents the lower curve.

2. How do you find the area bounded by the curves?

To find the area bounded by the curves, you can use the definite integral formula: ∫ab (f(x) - g(x)) dx, where a and b are the x-values of the points where the curves intersect and f(x) and g(x) are the functions representing the upper and lower curves, respectively.

3. Can the area bounded by the curves be negative?

Yes, the area bounded by the curves can be negative if the lower curve is above the upper curve or if the functions have opposite signs within the given interval. In this case, the integral will result in a negative value.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the area bounded by curves?

Finding the area bounded by curves is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, it can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects. In physics, it is used to determine the work done by a variable force, and in economics, it is used to calculate consumer and producer surplus.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the area bounded by the curves?

There are some common methods that can be used to find the area bounded by curves, such as using geometric shapes (rectangles, triangles, etc.) to approximate the area or using symmetry to reduce the number of integrals that need to be calculated. However, there is no universal shortcut or trick that can be applied to all cases, and the most accurate method is to use the definite integral formula.