Finding the angle between 2 vectors problems

In summary, the helix r1(t) and curve r2(t) intersect at the point (1,0,0). To find the angle of intersection, the dot product of the two vectors must be taken after taking the derivative. The book's answer of Pi/2 may indicate that there was a mistake in the calculation process. The coordinates (1,0,0) refer to the intersection point, not the value of the t-parameter. Using this information, the problem can be solved by setting up and solving equations.
mr_coffee
The directions say, The helix r1(t) intersects the curve r2(t) at the point (1,0,0). Find the angle of intersection of these curves. Well here is my work, and I'm stuck, how am i suppose to find the dot product of these 2 vectors once i take the derivative? the sin(1) is not a pretty number, and the book gets an asnwer of Pi/2 i think. What did i do wrong? Thanks.
Work:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/799218/0/nouser_799/T0_-1_799218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1,0,0) refers to the (x,y,z) coordinates of the intersection point---not the value(s?) of the t-parameter at the intersection point.
From your work... [let P be the intersection]
r1(at P)=(cos t_P, sin t_P, t_P)
r2(at P)=(1+t_P,t_P^2,t_P^3)
and, P=(1,0,0).
So, from the first equation: cos t_P=1 , sin t_P=0, t_P=0,
and from the second equation: ... you can do this part
and finish off the problem.

Related to Finding the angle between 2 vectors problems

1. What is the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the degree measure of rotation required to align one vector with the other. It is usually measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be found using the dot product formula: θ = cos-1((a · b) / (|a||b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. It is measured as the smallest positive angle between the two vectors.

4. What is the range of values for the angle between two vectors?

The range of values for the angle between two vectors is between 0 and 180 degrees or 0 and π radians. This range represents all possible degrees of rotation between the two vectors.

5. Why is finding the angle between two vectors important?

Finding the angle between two vectors is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It can be used to determine the direction of motion, the force acting on an object, and the relationship between two mathematical objects. It is also a fundamental concept in vector algebra and has many practical applications in real-world problems.