Finding the amount of work done (line integrals)

In summary, the problem is that you are trying to do a two dimensional integral when the problem is one dimensional.
Deimantas

Homework Statement

Find the amount of work (ω) done by moving a point from (2;0) to (1;3) along the curve y=4-(x^2), in the effect of force F=(x-y;x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ω = ∫((x-y)dx + xdy)

ω = ∫(x-4+x^2)dx + ∫√(4-y) dy

In the end, I get this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28integrate+%28x-4%2Bx^2%29+from+1+to+2%29+%2B+%28integrate+sqrt%284-y%29+from+0+to+3%29
with the final answer 4,5. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not correct. In fact, your entire method is wrong. This is a one dimensional problem (a curve) and you are doing a two dimensional integral. In general, you need to write the integral in terms of a single parameter. Here, since we have y equals a function of x, we can use x itself as that parameter.

On the curve [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex], [itex]dy= -2x dx[/itex]. So (x- y) dx= (x- 4+ x^2) dx and [itex]xdy= -2x^2 dx[/itex] That is,
[tex]\int_{(2, 0)}^{(1, 3)} (x- y)dx+ xdy= \int_{x=2}^1 (x^2+ x- 4- 2x^2)dx= \int_{x=2}^1 (-x^3+ x- 4)dx[/tex]

I thought I must have chosen a wrong method. Thank you very much for giving such a thorough answer.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not correct. In fact, your entire method is wrong. This is a one dimensional problem (a curve) and you are doing a two dimensional integral. In general, you need to write the integral in terms of a single parameter. Here, since we have y equals a function of x, we can use x itself as that parameter.

On the curve [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex], [itex]dy= -2x dx[/itex]. So (x- y) dx= (x- 4+ x^2) dx and [itex]xdy= -2x^2 dx[/itex] That is,
[tex]\int_{(2, 0)}^{(1, 3)} (x- y)dx+ xdy= \int_{x=2}^1 (x^2+ x- 4- 2x^2)dx= \int_{x=2}^1 (-x^3+ x- 4)dx[/tex]

just wanted to ask

i'm hoping to become a regular around here and I was hoping that you could tell me how you set out your equations in those graphics?

thanks a lot

Related to Finding the amount of work done (line integrals)

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in calculus to calculate the work done by a force along a curve or path. It involves breaking down the curve into small segments and adding up the work done by the force on each segment.

How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the work done along a curve. This is because a regular integral uses rectangular slices to approximate the area, while a line integral uses line segments to approximate the work.

Why is it important to find the amount of work done in a system?

Finding the amount of work done is crucial in understanding the energy and forces involved in a system. It can help in predicting the motion of objects and determining the efficiency of a process.

What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for calculating a line integral is ∫F(x,y)·ds, where F(x,y) is the force function and ds is the infinitesimal arc length along the curve. This can also be written as ∫F(x(t),y(t))·|r'(t)|dt, where r(t) is the parametric equation of the curve.

How do you determine the direction of the line integral?

The direction of the line integral is determined by the orientation of the curve. This can be specified by either using a positive direction (from start point to end point) or by specifying the direction of the curve using a vector function.