Finding the 2nd Partial Derivative of f(x,y) = 1/(2x^2 + y)

In summary, the student's homework problem seems to be related to improper simplification of a quotient rule problem.
phosgene

Homework Statement

Given the function

[itex]f(x,y)=\frac{1}{2x^2 + y}[/itex]

Find the partial derivative fxx(x,y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems pretty straight forward, just treat y as a constant and differentiate twice. But I keep getting the answer wrong and I have no idea why. Here's what I did:

[itex]\frac{∂f(x,y)}{∂x}=\frac{-4x}{(2x^2+y)^2}[/itex]

Then I differentiate with respect to x again using the quotient rule

[itex]\frac{∂^{2}f(x,y)}{∂x^{2}}=\frac{-4(2x^2+y)^2 + 4x(2(4x(2x^2 + y))}{(2x^2+ y)^4}[/itex]

I've also tried to do it by re-arranging and using the product rule, but this fails also. It's driving me mad. Have I done something wrong, or could the supposed correct answer actually be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks fine to me. What was the supposed answer?

Rather than use the quotient rule, you could also write [itex]f(x,y)= (2x^2+y)^{1/2}[/itex] so that [itex]f_x= (1/2)(2x^2+y)^{-1/2}(2x)= x(2x+ y)^{-1/2}[/itex]. Now take the derivative, with respect to x, again, using the product rule.

HallsofIvy said:
Rather than use the quotient rule, you could also write [itex]f(x,y)= (2x^2+y)^{1/2}[/itex] so that [itex]f_x= (1/2)(2x^2+y)^{-1/2}(2x)= x(2x+ y)^{-1/2}[/itex]. Now take the derivative, with respect to x, again, using the product rule.

Um, shouldn't that be [itex]f(x,y) = (2 x^2 + y)^{-1}[/itex], and not 1/2 as you put?

Thanks for the replies, as stated, I've tried rearranging into a form where I can apply the product rule, but the answer is also wrong. I've also tried expanding the brackets and then differentiation, but wrong again. I don't know the correct answer as it's entered onto a program which only tells me if my answer is correct or incorrect. I've e-mailed the course coordinator about it, as at this point I'm almost certain that my answer is correct and that there's a problem with the program...

Try this version:
$$ \frac{4(6x^2 - y)}{(2x^2 + y)^3}$$

All I did was find the common factor for the terms in the numerator, and then simplify. Many times when the quotient rule is involved, the textbook answers will to this kind of simplification.

I finally figured it out, I was accidentally placing the minus sign in front of the bracketed numerator. There were so many brackets that it slipped by me. Thanks for all the input though guys :)

Related to Finding the 2nd Partial Derivative of f(x,y) = 1/(2x^2 + y)

1. What is a 2nd partial derivative?

A 2nd partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to two independent variables. It can be thought of as the second derivative of a function, where the first derivative is taken with respect to one variable and the second derivative is taken with respect to another variable.

2. How is a 2nd partial derivative calculated?

To calculate a 2nd partial derivative, you first take the partial derivative of the function with respect to one variable, treating all other variables as constants. Then, you take the partial derivative of that result with respect to the other variable. This results in a value that represents the rate of change of the function with respect to both variables at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of a 2nd partial derivative in science?

In science, 2nd partial derivatives are used to understand the behavior of complex systems and how they change in response to different variables. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where multiple variables are involved in a system.

4. Can a 2nd partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a 2nd partial derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing with respect to one variable and increasing with respect to the other variable at a specific point. It is also possible for a 2nd partial derivative to be positive or zero, depending on the behavior of the function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of 2nd partial derivatives?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of 2nd partial derivatives. For example, they are used in physics to calculate the acceleration of an object in motion, in economics to understand the relationship between different economic variables, and in engineering to optimize the design of complex systems.