Finding Terminal Velocity given Mass and magnitude

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a skydiver's terminal velocity. The problem involves calculating the drag force as a function of velocity and setting it equal to the force due to gravity to find the terminal velocity. The student successfully solves the problem with the help of Newton's 2nd law and understanding that at terminal velocity, there is no acceleration.
Matt_h
I'm in physics 1 in college and reviewing for an up comming exam, ran into this problem and can't seem to figure out how to solve it.

A 70 kg skydiver experiences a drag force as a function of velocity (in m/s), opposite the direction of motion, whose magnitude is given

Fd(v)=0.19v^2

What is the skydiver's terminal velocity?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Matt h. Welcome to PF!

The rules here require you to show some attempt at a solution before receiving help. So, how do you think you could get started on this problem? What physics principles or laws are relevant?

Oh, ok

Using F=ma i found out that the force due to gravity is
70kg*9.81m/s^2=686.7N

Would i then just plug this force into the magnitude equation above to find the velocity?

After plugging it in i got 60.1 m/s

Does that sound about right?

Yes, that looks very good. Do you see why you should set the magnitudes of the two forces equal to each other?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes, that looks very good. Do you see why you should set the magnitudes of the two forces equal to each other?

I'm not sure that i do, do you mind explaining it?

Newton's 2nd law: Fnet = ma

For an object moving at terminal velocity, what is the value of the acceleration a?

Likes 1 person
Acceleration would be 0, right?

or no acceleration?

Yes. So,...:smile:

Related to Finding Terminal Velocity given Mass and magnitude

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can achieve when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is balanced by the drag force of the fluid on the object.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated by using the formula Vt = √(2mg/pAC), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the falling object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, p is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the falling object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of any external forces, such as wind or air resistance.

4. Can the magnitude of the drag force affect terminal velocity?

Yes, the magnitude of the drag force can affect terminal velocity. The greater the drag force, the slower the object will fall and the lower the terminal velocity will be.

5. How can the concept of terminal velocity be applied in real life?

The concept of terminal velocity is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and aviation. It is used to understand the behavior of objects falling through a fluid, as well as to design and test parachutes, skydiving equipment, and aircrafts.