Finding Taylor Polynomial of Degree 4 for f(x)=sqrt(x) About a=4

In summary, to find the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 expanded about a=4 for the function f(x)=squareroot of (x)=x^(1/2), you need to use the Taylor series formula with the given function and its derivatives. You should double check the derivatives provided and then plug in the values of a and f(a) into the formula. Remember to divide each term by the respective factorial and continue until you reach the desired degree.
meganlz09
I need to find the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 expanded about a=4 for the function f(x)=squareroot of (x)=x^(1/2)

This is what I've started with but I'm not sure how to proceed and if I even started correctly:
f'(x)(-1/2)x^(-1/2)=1/2sqrt(x)
f"(x)=(-1/4)x^(-3/2)=-1/4x^3/2
f"'(x)=(3/8)x^(-3)=3/8sqrt(x)
f""(x)=(-9/8)x^(-4)
and then i just plug 4 in for x

any explanation toward the correct answer would be great,thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
it's

P(x) = f(x) + (x-a)*f'(a) + 1/2! * (x-a)^2 * f''(a) + ... +1/4! * (x-a)^4 * f''''(x)

so you need to plug in a and f(a),.. values

and
if f(x) = (x)^1/2
then f'(x) = 1/2(x)^-0.5 .. (your differentiation seems wrong)

Well now just plug into the taylor series...

f(x) = f(4) + f'(4)(x-4)+f''(4)(x-4)^2/2!+f'''(4)(x-4)^3/3!+...

Hope this helps...

However, you may want to check those derivatives again before proceeding, especially the last two.

Billygoat said:
Well now just plug into the taylor series...

f(x) = f(4) + f'(4)(x-4)+f''(4)(x-4)^2/2!+f'''(4)(x-4)^3/3!+...

Hope this helps...

dont forget to divide by 0!, 1!, 2!, 3!,... accordingly

Related to Finding Taylor Polynomial of Degree 4 for f(x)=sqrt(x) About a=4

What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a polynomial function that approximates a given function in a specific point and degree. It is formed by adding up the derivatives of the function evaluated at that point.

How do you find the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 for f(x)=sqrt(x) about a=4?

To find the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 for f(x)=sqrt(x) about a=4, you need to first find the derivatives of the function at a=4. Then, plug these values into the general formula for a Taylor polynomial and simplify to get the final polynomial.

What is the purpose of finding a Taylor polynomial?

The purpose of finding a Taylor polynomial is to approximate a complex or unknown function with a simpler polynomial function. This allows for easier calculations and understanding of the behavior of the original function.

What is the degree of a Taylor polynomial?

The degree of a Taylor polynomial is the highest power of x in the polynomial. For example, a Taylor polynomial of degree 4 would have terms up to x^4.

Can a Taylor polynomial be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, a Taylor polynomial is an approximation of a function and will not give the exact value. As the degree of the polynomial increases, the approximation becomes more accurate, but it will never be exact.