Finding Tangential Acceleration

In summary, the flywheel of a steam engine with a constant angular speed of 425 rev/min is brought to a stop by the friction of the bearings in 1.7 hours. To find the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a flywheel particle 50 cm from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 75 rev/min, first change the time to seconds and the angular speed to rad/s. Then, use the equation At=(alpha)r and simple kinematics to find alpha.
GingerBread27
The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 425 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings stops the wheel in 1.7 h.

At the instant the flywheel is turning at 75 rev/min, what is the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a flywheel particle that is 50 cm from the axis of rotation?

I know the equation to use is At=(alpha)r, where alpha is dw/dt. In this case I'm not sure how to compute the alpha and I'm sure it's just a simple point that I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
first change the 1.7 hours to seconds, then the 425 rev/min to rad/s

then:

[tex]\alpha=\frac{d\omega}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha dt=d\omega[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}\alpha dt=\int_{\omega}^{0}d\omega[/tex]

GingerBread27 said:
In this case I'm not sure how to compute the alpha and I'm sure it's just a simple point that I am missing.
Use simple kinematics to find alpha: [itex]\alpha = \Delta \omega/\Delta t[/itex]. (Take care with your units, as Spectre5 advises.)

Related to Finding Tangential Acceleration

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It is a measure of how quickly the direction of an object's velocity is changing.

How do you calculate tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's tangential velocity with respect to time. It can also be calculated by dividing the change in tangential velocity by the change in time.

What are some real-life examples of tangential acceleration?

Some real-life examples of tangential acceleration include a car accelerating around a curve, a rollercoaster going around a loop, and a satellite orbiting around a planet. In all of these examples, the direction of the object's velocity is changing, resulting in tangential acceleration.

How does tangential acceleration differ from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of an object's total acceleration, but they act in different directions. Tangential acceleration acts in the direction of an object's tangential velocity, while centripetal acceleration acts towards the center of the circular motion.

Why is tangential acceleration important in physics?

Tangential acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects moving in circular or curved paths. It is also a key factor in determining the forces acting on an object and can be used to calculate an object's centripetal force and speed.