Angular Velocity and Acceleration Problem

In summary, we are given information about a steam engine's flywheel, which runs at a constant angular velocity of 180 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the wheel is stopped by the friction of bearings and air in 2.5 hours. From this, we can determine the constant angular acceleration of the wheel during the slowdown to be -1.032 rev/min^2. The wheel makes 13,463.935 revolutions before stopping. In addition, we can find the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a particle on the flywheel, which is 33 cm from the axis of rotation, to be 0.1182 rev/min^2. Finally, we can calculate the magnitude of the net linear acceleration
VitaX

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular velocity of 180 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings and of the air stops the wheel in 2.5 h. (a) What is the constant angular acceleration, in revolutions per minute-squared, of the wheel during the slowdown? (b) How many revolutions does the wheel make before stopping? (c) At the instant the flywheel is turning at 90.0 rev/min, what is the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a flywheel particle that is 33 cm from the axis of rotation? (d) What is the magnitude of the net linear acceleration of the particle in (c)?

Homework Equations

5 equations of constant acceleration (α is constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ωo = 180 rev/min (2π/1 rev)(1 min/60 s) = 18.8496 rad/s
ω = 0
t = 2.5 h (60 min/1 h)(60 s/1 min) = 9000 s
ω = ωo + αt
0 = 18.8496 + 9000α
α = -.0021 rad/s (1 rev/2π)(60 s/1 min) = -1.032 rev/min^2

b) ϴ = ωot + .5αt^2
ϴ = 18.8496*9000 + .5(-.0021)(9000)^2
ϴ = 84,596.4 rad (1 rev/2π) = 13,463.935 rev

Parts c and d go together and I'm not quite sure how to find part c all I know is this equation should apply: at = rα

And if someone can confirm my work and answers for parts a and b that would be great since I'm not 100% sure they are correct, but I believe my method is right.

Edit: I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
c) at = rα (33 cm)(.01 m/1 cm)(.0021 rad/s) = .006987 rad/s^2 (1 rev/2π)(60 s/1 min) = .1182 rev/min^2d) a = √(ar^2 + at^2) = √(.1182^2 + .006987^2) = 11.8382 rev/min^2

Related to Angular Velocity and Acceleration Problem

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is different from linear velocity, which measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. It is typically represented by the Greek letter "omega" (ω) and is expressed in radians per second.

3. What is angular acceleration and what causes it?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how much an object's angular velocity changes over a period of time. It is caused by a change in the object's speed or direction of rotation, or by an external torque acting on the object.

4. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity of an object increases or decreases, the object's angular acceleration also changes.

5. How are angular velocity and acceleration used in real life?

Angular velocity and acceleration are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of machines and equipment that involve rotating parts, such as engines, turbines, and motors. They are also important in understanding the movement and stability of objects in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics.