Finding Tangent of Bezier Curve - Is Maths or Programming the Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a bezier curve in a programming coursework and the need to find the tangent at any point on the curve. The equation for the curve is provided and the differentiation to find the tangent is discussed. It is confirmed that the differentiation is correct and the resulting vector is the tangent vector at the given point. The individual is seeking help with the mathematical accuracy of the method.
Bucky
Hi, I'm programming a visual implimentation of a bezier curve for a coursework. It would be beneficial for me to find the tangent at any point t on the curve. I can calculate the position of a point t, and so can hash the problem somewhat by finding the gradient between t+- a small value, but I was hoping for a more mathmatically accurate method.

So I have the basic equation

nCr * t^r * (1-t)^(n-r) * Vector for point

which I tried to differentiate to...

nCr * r * t^(r-1) * -(n-r) * (1-t) * Vector for point

where
t is progress along curve (between 0 and 1)
n is the number of control points
r is which iteration of the list of points we're on.

is this correct? I'm not sure if it's the programming or the maths that are causing the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!Yes, your differentiation is correct! To find the tangent at a point t, you would use the derivative of the equation you provided above and evaluate it at the point t. The resulting vector is the tangent vector at point t.

Related to Finding Tangent of Bezier Curve - Is Maths or Programming the Problem?

1. What is a Bezier curve?

A Bezier curve is a type of mathematical curve used in computer graphics and design. It is defined by a series of control points that determine the shape of the curve.

2. How do you find the tangent of a Bezier curve?

The tangent of a Bezier curve can be found by calculating the slope of the curve at a specific point. This can be done by using the derivative of the Bezier curve equation.

3. Is finding the tangent of a Bezier curve a math or programming problem?

Finding the tangent of a Bezier curve involves both math and programming. The mathematical concepts of calculus are used to calculate the slope, but the actual implementation of the calculation is done through programming.

4. What challenges are involved in finding the tangent of a Bezier curve?

One challenge is accurately determining the control points of the Bezier curve, as small variations can greatly affect the resulting tangent. Another challenge is efficiently calculating the derivative of the Bezier curve equation.

5. Why is finding the tangent of a Bezier curve important?

Knowing the tangent of a Bezier curve allows for better control and manipulation of the curve in computer graphics and design. It can also be used in collision detection and path finding algorithms.