Finding surface area with a function. Double Integration.

The "g path" is called ##\vec R(x,y)## and is given by ##\vec R(x,y) = \langle x,y,1-x-y\rangle##. You need to use that to get the "n" vector.
Unart

Homework Statement

Calculate ∫∫f(x,y,z)DS for the given surface and function.

Part of the plain x+y+z=0, contained in the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 f(x,y,z)=z^2.

Homework Equations

∫∫F(x,y,z)Ds=∫∫F(g(u,v)*||n(u,v)||

N= TuXTv
Tu= G(u,v)(du); Tv is the same only the derivative is with respect to v

The Attempt at a Solution

So, where I confused... is how to find the vector to use for G(u,v) from the cylinder and the plain. Aside from that I think I pretty much understand. Oh, and whould the upper and lower bounds be 1? Or do I use polar coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unart said:

Homework Statement

Calculate ∫∫f(x,y,z)DS for the given surface and function.

Part of the plain x+y+z=0, contained in the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 f(x,y,z)=z^2.

Homework Equations

∫∫F(x,y,z)Ds=∫∫F(g(u,v)*||n(u,v)||

N= TuXTv
Tu= G(u,v)(du); Tv is the same only the derivative is with respect to v

The Attempt at a Solution

So, where I confused... is how to find the vector to use for G(u,v) from the cylinder and the plain. Aside from that I think I pretty much understand. Oh, and whould the upper and lower bounds be 1? Or do I use polar coordinates?

You have choices about how to parameterize the surface. You could choose ##x## and ##y## for your parameters$$
x = x,\, y = y,\, z = 1-x-y\,\quad \vec R(x,y)=\langle x,y,1-x-y\rangle$$or you could choose ##r## and ##\theta## and parameterize it like this$$
x=r\cos\theta,\,y=r\sin\theta,\,z = 1 - r\cos\theta-r\sin\theta$$and parameterize it accordingly. And, of course, the limits of integration depend on your variables. Even if you start with the ##x,y## parameterization you will likely change the resulting integral to polar coordinates because the domain is a circle.

on the z=1-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)... how did you get the 1
if x+y+z=0
So are you saying that the g path function would be (x,y,z)=(rcos(theta),rsin(theta),-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)

Unart said:
on the z=1-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)... how did you get the 1
if x+y+z=0
So are you saying that the g path function would be (x,y,z)=(rcos(theta),rsin(theta),-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)

That was a typo. I had read the equation as ##x+y+z=1##. So put 0 instead of 1 in the appropriate places. Sorry.

That isn't the "g path". What it is is a parameterization of the portion of the plane inside the cylinder in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##.

Last edited:

Related to Finding surface area with a function. Double Integration.

1. What is meant by surface area with a function?

Surface area with a function is a mathematical concept that involves finding the surface area of a three-dimensional shape using a mathematical function. This function represents the shape of the object, and by using double integration, we can calculate the surface area of the object.

2. How is surface area with a function different from regular surface area?

Regular surface area refers to the total area of the surface of a three-dimensional object, while surface area with a function involves finding the surface area of a shape represented by a mathematical function. This allows us to calculate the surface area of complex shapes that cannot be easily measured using traditional methods.

3. What is double integration and how is it used to find surface area with a function?

Double integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve by integrating the function twice. In the context of finding surface area with a function, double integration involves integrating the function twice with respect to two different variables, typically x and y, to find the surface area of the shape represented by the function.

4. What are the steps involved in finding surface area with a function using double integration?

The first step is to define the function that represents the shape of the object. Next, we set up the double integral by determining the limits of integration for both x and y. We then integrate the function twice using these limits to find the area under the curve. Finally, we take the absolute value of the result to find the surface area of the shape.

5. What are the applications of finding surface area with a function using double integration?

Finding surface area with a function using double integration has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately calculate the surface area of complex shapes, which is useful in designing structures, analyzing fluid dynamics, and creating realistic computer-generated images of three-dimensional objects.