Finding Surface Area of Sphere Above Cone

In summary, the conversation is about finding the surface area of a part of a sphere lying above a cone, using a surface area integral. The conversation discusses converting to polar coordinates and finding the limits of integration, as well as using the Jacobian and multiple integrals.
UrbanXrisis
Surface area integral

sorry, this is not about flux integration... but surface area! sorry about the title!

Find the surface area of the part of the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=36 [/tex] that lies above the cone [tex]z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

[tex]z=\sqrt{36-x^2-y^2} [/tex]

[tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \right) ^2 } dA[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} =\frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=\frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) [/tex]

[tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) \right) ^2 } dA[/tex]

is this correct so far? how would I find the ends of integration for a cone?

I've taken the liberty of changing the title of this thread. Since it wasn't even "flux integration" it was bothering me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much easier if you convert to polar coordinates

[tex]x=r\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]y=r\sin\theta[/tex]

and [tex]z=r[/tex]

Remember to use the Jacobian when you're changing coordinates.

oh wow, okay, i got it in polar form...

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}[/tex]

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+46656x^2-3888x^4+108x^6-x^8}[/tex]

but what would be the ends of integration for a cone?

Last edited:
First find the intersection between the cone and the sphere. This will give you a condition that you can turn into your limits of integration.

how would I do that?

here's my guess:

the cone has equation:
[tex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/tex]

the sphere has equation:
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=36 [/tex]

putting them together:
[tex]x^2+y^2=18 [/tex]

so my ends would be:

[tex]\int _0 ^{2\pi} \int_0 ^{\sqrt{18}[/tex]

also, when i change from [tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) \right) ^2 } dxdy[/tex] to the polar form [tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}dA[/tex] do I have to add the variable r at the end such that [tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}rdrd \theta[/tex]?

Last edited:
It should be
[tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r^2)^3} rdrd \theta[/tex]

Apart from that, I think everything else is correct.

how the heck do you integrate that?

may I suggest this?
[tex]
A(S) = \int\int_S dA = \int_u \int_v \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial u} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial v} } \right| du dv
[/tex]
now considering spherical coordinates, and representing the integral surface with respect to spherical coordinates
[tex]
S : x = 6 \sin \theta \cos \phi , y = 6 \sin \theta \sin \phi , z = 6 \cos \theta
[/tex]
[tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}, 0 \leq \phi \leq 2 \pi [/tex]
so
[tex]
A(S) = \int_u \int_v \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial u} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial v} } \right| du dv
= \int_\theta \int_\phi \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial \theta} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial \phi} } \right| d \theta d \phi
= \int_\theta \int_\phi 36 \left| { \sin \theta } \right| d \theta d \phi
= 36 \int_\theta \left| { \sin \theta } \right| d \theta \int_\phi d \phi
=72 \pi \left( { 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} } \right)
[/tex]

What is that technique called?
haven't seen that before

Multiple integrals, usually taught in a third calculus course. Typically comes with a few conversion ideas, like polar coordinates in this example. Each integral and its limits correspond to a variable being integrated.

cool, I guess we'll learn that in my next course

Related to Finding Surface Area of Sphere Above Cone

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere above a cone?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere above a cone is 4πr2 - πh2, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cone.

How does the height of the cone affect the surface area of the sphere above it?

The height of the cone directly affects the surface area of the sphere above it. As the height of the cone increases, the surface area of the sphere above it decreases, and vice versa.

What are the units for measuring the surface area of a sphere above a cone?

The units for surface area are typically square units, such as square meters (m2) or square feet (ft2). However, it is important to use consistent units for both the radius and height when using the formula.

Can the surface area of a sphere above a cone be negative?

No, the surface area of a sphere above a cone can never be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the total area of the curved surface of the sphere above the cone.

How is finding the surface area of a sphere above a cone useful in real-life applications?

Finding the surface area of a sphere above a cone is useful in various real-life applications, such as calculating the surface area of a dome or roof of a building, designing spherical water tanks, or determining the surface area of a hot air balloon.