Finding Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution

In summary, to find the surface area generated by rotating y=5-4x^(3/2), 0\leq x\leq 1 about x=2, you can use the formula SA = 2\pi\int_{a}^{b}(r\cdot ds)dx and substitute t = 1 + 36x, where du = 36dx and x = (1/36)(u - 1). The resulting integral is \pi/18 \int_{u = 1}^{37} [2u^{1/2} - (1/36)u^{3/2} + (1/36)u^{1/2}]du.
BraedenP

Homework Statement

Find the surface area generated by rotating [itex]y=5-4x^(3/2), 0\leq x\leq 1[/itex] about x=2.

Homework Equations

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{a}^{b}(r\cdot ds)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply filled in the formula for the given question, and I'm getting stuck at integration time.

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}5-4x^{3/2})\right)^2}[/tex]

Simplified, it's:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+36x}[/tex]

We haven't done Integration By Parts yet, so I can't "deal with" the multiplication. What I tried to do was square the (2-x) to get [itex]x^2-4x+4[/itex] and then combined the roots:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{36x^3-143x^2+140x+4}[/tex]

But that still isn't a manageable integral, given that I can't use substitution or anything.

How would I go about solving this question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+36x}
[/tex]

Try something simpler like a substitution of t=1+36x (remember, you can always rewrite x in terms of t :wink:)

Just to keep the account books straight, this integral
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{a}^{b}(r\cdot ds)dx[/tex]

should be
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{a}^{b}r\cdot ds[/tex]

Multiplying by dx/dx gives
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{a}^{b}r\cdot ds/dx~dx[/tex]

Using your function, we get
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{2}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+36x}dx[/tex]

Notice the change in the upper limit of integration.

Gah, I always write the question wrong on here for some reason. I should have written [itex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/itex] above. (Changed now for clarity)

Basically, I'm fine getting that formula, but I get stuck when trying to integrate it. It's not in a format that I'm used to working with.

I would go with rockfreak's suggested substitution.

Hmm, not quite sure why I can't get this question... Here's my attempt with the substitution:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-\frac{1}{36}(t-1))\cdot \sqrt{t}[/tex]

Expand everything:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}2\sqrt{t}-\frac{1}{36}(t^{\frac{3}{2}}-\sqrt{t})[/tex]

Simplify:

[tex]SA = \frac{\pi}{18}\int_{0}^{1}72t^\frac{1}{2}-t^\frac{3}{2}+t^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

And I get (we don't need to find a decimal answer -- integrating it to this form should be enough:

[tex]SA = \frac{\pi}{18}\left[ 48t^\frac{3}{2}-\frac{2}{5}t^\frac{5}{2}+\frac{2}{3}t^\frac{3}{2} \right ][/tex] from t=1 to t=37

I don't think this is right though...

You keep omitting the dx or dt. That's the reason for a mistake you make right near the beginning. Your substitution was t = 1 + 36x, so dt = 36dx.

Also, when you are integrating, it's almost always better to write radical expressions using exponents.

BraedenP said:
Hmm, not quite sure why I can't get this question... Here's my attempt with the substitution:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-\frac{1}{36}(t-1))\cdot \sqrt{t}[/tex]

Expand everything:

[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}2\sqrt{t}-\frac{1}{36}(t^{\frac{3}{2}}-\sqrt{t})[/tex]

Simplify:

[tex]SA = \frac{\pi}{18}\int_{0}^{1}72t^\frac{1}{2}-t^\frac{3}{2}+t^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

And I get (we don't need to find a decimal answer -- integrating it to this form should be enough:

[tex]SA = \frac{\pi}{18}\left[ 48t^\frac{3}{2}-\frac{2}{5}t^\frac{5}{2}+\frac{2}{3}t^\frac{3}{2} \right ][/tex] from t=1 to t=37

I don't think this is right though...

Hmm, thanks.. Not sure why I omitted it. I did keep in mind while answering the question, however, which variable I was integrating with respect to.

Did my omission cause a mistake in the final answer, or were you just pointing out that I forgot to write it?

Last edited:
It caused a mistake.
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+36x}dx[/tex]

Let u = 1 + 36x, so du = 36dx, and x = (1/36)(u - 1). (I'm more used to using u for substitutions.)

With the substitutions, we have
[tex]SA = \pi/18 \int_{u = 1}^{37} [2 - (1/36)(u - 1)]u^{1/2}du[/tex]
[tex]= \pi/18 \int_{u = 1}^{37} [2u^{1/2} - (1/36)u^{3/2} + (1/36)u^{1/2}]du[/tex]

By omitting dx, you neglected a factor of 1/36 with du (since dx = (1/36)du).

Mark44 said:
It caused a mistake.
[tex]SA = 2\pi\int_{0}^{1}(2-x)\cdot \sqrt{1+36x}dx[/tex]

Let u = 1 + 36x, so du = 36dx, and x = (1/36)(u - 1). (I'm more used to using u for substitutions.)

With the substitutions, we have
[tex]SA = \pi/18 \int_{u = 1}^{37} [2 - (1/36)(u - 1)]u^{1/2}du[/tex]
[tex]= \pi/18 \int_{u = 1}^{37} [2u^{1/2} - (1/36)u^{3/2} + (1/36)u^{1/2}]du[/tex]

By omitting dx, you neglected a factor of 1/36 with du (since dx = (1/36)du).

I got x= (1/36)(u-1) but then I tried to factor out the (1/36) to make integration simpler, and that seems to be where I messed up. I'll just continue without trying to factor it out.

Thanks! :)

Related to Finding Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution

What is the definition of "Finding Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution"?

The surface area of a solid of revolution is the total area of all the curved surfaces that make up the solid when it is rotated around an axis.

What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a solid of revolution?

The formula for finding the surface area of a solid of revolution is A = 2π∫(x)(f(x))dx, where x represents the radius of the solid at a given point and f(x) represents the function that defines the shape of the solid.

How do you find the axis of revolution for a solid of revolution?

The axis of revolution is the line around which the solid is rotated. It can be found by looking at the shape of the solid and determining which line or axis runs through the center of the shape.

What information do you need to calculate the surface area of a solid of revolution?

To calculate the surface area of a solid of revolution, you will need to know the equation that defines the shape of the solid, as well as the limits of integration for the integral in the formula. You may also need to know the radius of the solid at certain points if it is not a perfect shape.

What are some real-life applications of finding surface area of a solid of revolution?

Finding surface area of a solid of revolution is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the surface area of a bottle or can, determining the amount of material needed to create a curved structure, or estimating the surface area of a human organ for medical purposes.