Finding Surface Area in the First Octant and Left of a Given Plane

In summary, to find the area of the surface z=2-2x^(3/2) in the first octant and to the left of the plane x+y=1, you will need to use integration. To determine the limits of integration, you can sketch the two equations in separate coordinate systems and then imagine moving one onto the other. In this case, x will go from 0 to 1 and y will go from 0 to 1-x.
Infernorage
How would I find the area of the surface z=2-2x^(3/2) in the first octant and to the left of the plane x+y=1? Could someone solve this and explain to me how to do it, because I really am unsure of what to do. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably need to do some sort of integration. What do you think?

Office_Shredder said:
You probably need to do some sort of integration. What do you think?

Lol yea I got that. What I don't understand is how to get the equation that needs to be integrated and the limits.

Try drawing it. Even when in R^3, sketches still help tremendously in these cases

In other words, they are suggesting that you try yourself and show what you have tried. There are many suggestions we could make, but what you will understand depends on what you already know about this kind of problem and we do not yet know that.

Okay, well I found the y and x partial derivatives and plugged them into the surface area equation and got [tex]\int \int \sqrt{9x+1}[/tex]. The main thing I am confused about is how to find the limits. Do I have to find the intersection of the surface z=2-2x^(3/2) and x+y=1? Can someone give me a quick reminder of how to find that intersection? Thanks.

Here's a way that helps me think of these: draw an xz- coordinate system and sketch [itex]z= 2- 2x^{3/2}[/itex] (in the first quadrant, it looks a bit like a parabola). Draw a separate xy-coordinate system and sketch x+ y= 1. Now imagine moving the xz-coordinate graph onto of the xy-coordinat graph so that the z-axis is straight up. [itex]z= 2-2x^2[/itex] is a "cylinder" and x+y= 1 is a plane going straight up. To cover the area you want over the xy-plane, x must go from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y must go from 0 to y= 1- x (from solving x+y= 1 for y). Those are your limits of integration.

Related to Finding Surface Area in the First Octant and Left of a Given Plane

1. How do you calculate the surface area of a cube?

To find the surface area of a cube, you need to know the length of one side. Then, you can use the formula SA = 6s^2, where SA is the surface area and s is the length of one side. So for example, if the length of one side is 5 centimeters, the surface area of the cube would be 6(5^2) = 150 square centimeters.

2. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a rectangular prism?

The formula for finding the surface area of a rectangular prism is SA = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh, where SA is the surface area, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. This formula calculates the area of all six faces of the rectangular prism and adds them together.

3. How do you find the surface area of a cylinder?

To find the surface area of a cylinder, you need to know the radius and height of the cylinder. Then, you can use the formula SA = 2πr(r+h), where SA is the surface area, r is the radius, and h is the height. This formula takes into account the area of the circular top and bottom, as well as the curved side of the cylinder.

4. What is the difference between lateral surface area and total surface area?

Lateral surface area refers to the area of all the sides of a 3D shape except for the top and bottom. It is calculated by multiplying the perimeter of the base by the height. Total surface area, on the other hand, includes the area of all the sides as well as the top and bottom of the shape. It is calculated by adding the lateral surface area to the area of the top and bottom.

5. Can you find the surface area of a 3D shape without knowing its dimensions?

In most cases, no. To find the surface area of a 3D shape, you need to know at least some of its dimensions, such as the length, width, and/or height. However, there are some 3D shapes, like spheres, that have formulas for surface area that only require the radius as input. In these cases, you can find the surface area without knowing the exact dimensions.