Finding Surface Area from Equation in Terms of x=g(y)

In summary, the surface area can be found by integrating the equation x=g(y) about the x-axis, using the formula S=∫2πy√(1+y^2(y^2+2))dy, and then solving for the limits of integration. The final answer is 48π."
ineedhelpnow
if I am finding the surface area, and I am given the equation in term of x=g(y) about the x-axis, do i have to solve for y or can i just integrate in terms of y? would i just use dx/dy instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
that's how i did the problem:

$x=\frac{1}{3} (y^2+2)^{3/2}$ $1\le y \le 3$ about the x axis
$x'= \frac{(y^2+2)^{3/2}}{3} = \frac{ \frac{3(y^2+2)^{1/2}}{2}}{3}dy(y^2+2 ) = \frac{(y^2+2)^{1/2}*2y}{2} = y \sqrt{y^2+2}$

$S=\int_{1}^{3} \ 2\pi y \sqrt{1+y^2(y^2+2)}dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ y\sqrt{1+y^4+2y^2}dy=2\pi\int_{1}^{3} \ y\sqrt{(y^2+1)^2}dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ y(y^2+1)dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ (y^3+y) dy=2\pi [\frac{y^4}{4}+\frac{y^2}{2}]_{1}^{3} = 48 \pi$

is it correct?

Last edited:
ineedhelpnow said:
that's how i did the problem:

$x=\frac{1}{3} (y^2+2)^{3/2}$ $1\le y \le 3$ about the x axis
$x'= \frac{(y^2+2)^{3/2}}{3} = \frac{ \frac{3(y^2+2)^{1/2}}{2}}{3}dy(y^2+2 ) = \frac{(y^2+2)^{1/2}*2y}{2} = y \sqrt{y^2+2}$

$S=\int_{1}^{3} \ 2\pi y \sqrt{1+y^2(y^2+2)}dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ y\sqrt{1+y^4+2y^2}dy=2\pi\int_{1}^{3} \ y\sqrt{(y^2+1)^2}dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ y(y^2+1)dy=2\pi \int_{1}^{3} \ (y^3+y) dy=2\pi [\frac{y^4}{4}+\frac{y^2}{2}]_{1}^{3} = 48 \pi$

is it correct?

It is correct! (Yes)

Related to Finding Surface Area from Equation in Terms of x=g(y)

1. How do you find the surface area from an equation in terms of x=g(y)?

In order to find the surface area from an equation in terms of x=g(y), you will need to use the formula SA = 2π∫g(y)√(1+(g'(y))^2)dy. This formula involves integrating the equation g(y) and its derivative g'(y) in order to find the surface area.

2. What does x=g(y) represent in the equation for finding surface area?

The equation x=g(y) represents the cross-sectional area of the solid figure at a specific value of y. This equation is used to determine the surface area of a solid figure that varies along the y-axis.

3. Why is it important to find the surface area from an equation in terms of x=g(y)?

Finding the surface area from an equation in terms of x=g(y) is important because it allows you to calculate the surface area of complex shapes that cannot be easily measured or approximated. This method is especially useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.

4. Can you use this method to find the surface area of any solid figure?

Yes, this method can be used to find the surface area of any solid figure as long as the cross-sectional area can be expressed as an equation in terms of x=g(y). However, the integral required to calculate the surface area may be difficult or impossible to solve for some complex figures.

5. Are there any limitations to finding surface area from an equation in terms of x=g(y)?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for figures that vary along the y-axis. It cannot be used for figures that vary along the x-axis or in multiple directions. Additionally, as mentioned before, the integral required to calculate the surface area may be difficult or impossible to solve for some complex shapes.