Finding Summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about finding the summation of i^p from i=0 to i=6. The formula is provided from Wikipedia, but the only unknown variable is the Bernoulli number, which is explained and can be found on a table.
hover
Hey everyone,
I need some help trying to figure out how to find the summation of

n
[tex]\sum_{}^{\6}i^p[/tex]
i=0

I was looking on the web and found on Wikipedia this formula off the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation" page. It looks like this assuming I copied it right (ignore the periods)

.n......p
[tex]\sum_{}^{\6}i^p = \frac{(n+1)^{p+1}}{p+1} + \sum_{}^{\5} \frac {B_k}{p-k+1} \left(\begin{array}{cc}p\\k\end{array}\right)(n+1)^{p-k+1}[/tex]
i=0......k=1

I know how to do the math and know what almost all the variables mean. The only one that gets in my way of using this formula is [tex]B_k[/tex]. Now [tex]B_k[/tex], as wikipedia says stands for kth Bernoulli number. I've tried looking at Google and Wikipedia to find out what the Bernoulli number is but I can't seem to find out what it really is. Can someone explain to me what the Bernoulli number is and how to calculate or find it? I don't know how to.

Many Thanks:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Finding Summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers

What is the purpose of finding the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers?

The purpose of finding the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers is to calculate the sum of powers of natural numbers raised to a certain exponent p. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in solving differential equations or estimating probabilities in statistics.

What are Bernoulli Numbers?

Bernoulli Numbers are a sequence of rational numbers that arise in the study of mathematics, particularly in number theory and analysis. They were first introduced by Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli in the early 18th century and have since been extensively studied and applied in various fields.

What is the formula for calculating the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers?

The formula for calculating the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers is ∑n^p = B_p+1 - B_0, where B_p is the pth Bernoulli Number and B_0 is the 0th Bernoulli Number. This formula is also known as the Faulhaber's formula.

How are Bernoulli Numbers and Bernoulli Polynomials related?

Bernoulli Numbers are closely related to Bernoulli Polynomials, which are a generalization of the Bernoulli Numbers. Bernoulli Polynomials are defined as a set of polynomials that can be used to express the Bernoulli Numbers. They have many applications in calculus, number theory, and combinatorics.

What are some real-life applications of finding the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers?

Some real-life applications of finding the summation of n^p with Bernoulli Numbers include estimating probabilities in statistics, solving differential equations in physics and engineering, and evaluating power series in calculus. They are also used in number theory, combinatorics, and other branches of mathematics.