An intuitive meaning of Bernoulli numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula known as Faulhaber's formula, which generalizes summations of finite powers. However, the speaker is unable to find a simple explanation for "Bernoulli numbers" and is looking for an explanation similar to Pascal numbers. They mention several formulas, including the one for Bernoulli numbers, and question why they are so universal and appear in various contexts. The conversation concludes by discussing the importance of power series in understanding the significance of Bernoulli numbers.
ddddd28
Recently, I was intrigued by the summations of finite powers and therefore by the formula which generalizes the summations. "Faulhaber's formula".
87379a01d3e18ba80d7fa4936f677664fff02793

However, I didn't find an intuitive simple meaning of "bernoulli numbers", only meaning by their applications, which, of course, I can't understand them. I am looking for an explanation similar to how pascal numbers are understood, for example.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I find already this formula satisfactory. Or
$$
\frac{x}{e^x-1} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty B_k\, \frac{x^k}{k!} \textrm{ or } \tan x = \sum_{k=1}^\infty (-1)^k \, \frac{2^{2k}(1-2^{2k})}{(2k)!}\,B_{2k}x^{2k-1}
$$
and many more of similar type. I don't think this answers your question as they are basically of the same kind as Faulhaber's formula above. So I assume there is no answer as simple as the Pascal triangle. The Wikipedia page on Bernoulli's numbers says, that Bernoulli's original approach was by the powers of natural numbers, too. So the question which is really interesting is, what makes them so "universal" that they appear in so many different contexts as up to the Riemannian zeta-function. And this question probably breaks down to the definition via the exponential function above and the importance of power series in general.

fresh_42 said:
So the question which is really interesting is, what makes them so "universal" that they appear in so many different contexts as up to the Riemannian zeta-function.
I think you are right, I would like to understand why there are so universal, and in which cases do I know that I should use them?

Related to An intuitive meaning of Bernoulli numbers

What are Bernoulli numbers?

Bernoulli numbers are a sequence of rational numbers that arise in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and calculus.

What is the intuitive meaning of Bernoulli numbers?

The intuitive meaning of Bernoulli numbers is that they represent the coefficients in the power series expansion of the function x/(ex - 1). In other words, they are the numbers that appear in the terms of the polynomial when this function is expressed as a sum of infinitely many terms.

What is the significance of Bernoulli numbers?

Bernoulli numbers have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of prime numbers, the Riemann zeta function, and the Euler-Maclaurin formula. They also have connections to the harmonic series, which has important implications in the study of infinite series and convergence.

How are Bernoulli numbers calculated?

Bernoulli numbers can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as the recursive formula discovered by Jacob Bernoulli, the explicit formula discovered by Leonhard Euler, or through their connection to the Riemann zeta function. They can also be found using techniques from calculus, such as integration and differentiation.

What is the relationship between Bernoulli numbers and Bernoulli polynomials?

Bernoulli polynomials are a generalization of Bernoulli numbers, where the power of x in the power series expansion is replaced by an arbitrary positive integer. Bernoulli numbers can be obtained by evaluating the Bernoulli polynomials at x = 0. Additionally, the Bernoulli polynomials satisfy a similar recurrence relation and have connections to various mathematical concepts, such as the Euler-Mascheroni constant and the Stirling numbers of the second kind.