Finding sum of Power Series with Factorials

In summary: Thanks for the help. I'm starting to see how this might work, but I'm still having a lot of trouble understanding it. Can you explain it a little more in terms of equations and examples?
PencilnPaper

Homework Statement

I am confused about how to find a sum of a power series, especially when it contains factorials and I can't quite get it to look like a geometric series. Is it the same thing as finding a limit (and then I would follow the various tests for convergence of the different kinds of series)? Is it the same thing as finding an "exact value" (which I think means finding a function in terms of x)?

Homework Equations

I can't give the exact problems I am working with because it is a take home test, but I hope if I make up an example, this will work for my general questions about the concept:

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x)^n}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

With one problem similar to above I am working with, when I did the ratio test it appears to converge to zero; does that mean the sum equals zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a similar problem myself in the above thread, but I do know that if you use the Ratio Test, and the outcome is less than one(i.e. zero) then the series converges, however this is NOT the sum. Past that i can't help. Sorry!

dx said:
Do you know the infinite series of ex?

Look at my reply in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313878

Thanks, but, YIKES! That link was exactly the same question as on our test. I didn't look at your response to that question because I don't want to get into any trouble. I've looked into three calculus books and none of them explain this concept well enough. I was hoping to get some help with the general idea and then I can figure out the problem myself, but I don't want you to have to work double time to answer the same questions.

Hi PencilnPaper,

If it's a take home test, I presume it's open book? If so, then I'm guessing it's ok for you to ask questions, as long as you don't ask any questions directly from your test.

If you're at all unsure of whether you're allowed to seek help, then I think it's best if you don't.

Think of the series as such:

[tex]\sum \frac{x^n}{n!(n+1)}[/tex]

Now you know from the Maclaurin series expansion for [tex]e^x[/tex] that the following is true:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!} = e^x[/tex]

This is true because [tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + ... [/tex]

Also note that [tex]e^x - 1 = x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + ... [/tex]

Now the expansion of this original series is as follows: [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!(n+1)} = 1 + \frac{x}{2*1!} + \frac{x^2}{3*2!} + \frac{x^3}{4*3!} + \frac{x^4}{5*4!} + ... [/tex]

Subtract the first term (i.e. 1) from the expansion:

[tex][\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!(n+1)}] - 1 = \frac{x}{2*1!} + \frac{x^2}{3*2!} + \frac{x^3}{4*3!} + \frac{x^4}{5*4!} + ... [/tex]

I'll put two particular results together:

[tex][\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!(n+1)}] = \frac{x}{2*1!} + \frac{x^2}{3*2!} + \frac{x^3}{4*3!} + \frac{x^4}{5*4!} + ... [/tex]

[tex]e^x - 1 = x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + ... [/tex]

Unfortunately, I don't know how to progress from here - I'm only in year 12, but maybe these ideas would help?

Ulagatin

Related to Finding sum of Power Series with Factorials

1. What is a power series with factorials?

A power series with factorials is a series of terms that involves raising a variable to different powers and multiplying it by a factorial, which is the product of all the positive integers less than or equal to a given number. An example of this is the Maclaurin series for e^x, which is 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! + ...

2. How do you find the sum of a power series with factorials?

To find the sum of a power series with factorials, you need to use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, which is a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a is the first term of the power series and r is the ratio between each term. You can then manipulate the series to fit this formula and solve for the sum.

3. What is the significance of finding the sum of a power series with factorials?

Finding the sum of a power series with factorials can be useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and probability. It allows us to approximate functions and make predictions about their behavior, as well as solve problems involving infinite series.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the sum of a power series with factorials?

One common technique is to use the ratio test to determine the convergence of the series and then use the formula for the sum of a geometric series. Another technique is to use the Taylor series expansion of a function to find the coefficients of the series and then use those coefficients to find the sum.

5. Can the sum of a power series with factorials be expressed in a closed form?

Yes, in some cases the sum of a power series with factorials can be expressed in a closed form, meaning it can be written as a single expression without any infinite series. However, this is not always possible and may require using special functions such as the gamma function or Bessel functions.