Finding subgroups and their generators of cyclic group

In summary, the only subgroup of order 8 in $\Bbb Z_{32}$ is $\{0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28\}$ and its generators are 4, 12, 20, and 28. This can be found by using the theorem and understanding the properties of cyclic groups.
Ragnarok7
List every generator of each subgroup of order 8 in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_{32}\).

I was told to use the following theorem:

Let \(\displaystyle G\) be a cyclic group of order \(\displaystyle n\) and suppose that \(\displaystyle a\in G\) is a generator of the group. If \(\displaystyle b=a^k\), then the order of \(\displaystyle b\) is \(\displaystyle n/d\), where \(\displaystyle d=\text{gcd}(k,n)\).

However, I am unsure how this helps. By inspection, I've found the only subgroup of order 8 in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_{32}\) is \(\displaystyle \{0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28\}\). I have also found its generators by inspection to be 4, 12, 20, and 28. But how is one supposed to find these without doing all the calculations? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
List every generator of each subgroup of order 8 in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_{32}\).

I was told to use the following theorem:

Let \(\displaystyle G\) be a cyclic group of order \(\displaystyle n\) and suppose that \(\displaystyle a\in G\) is a generator of the group. If \(\displaystyle b=a^k\), then the order of \(\displaystyle b\) is \(\displaystyle n/d\), where \(\displaystyle d=\text{gcd}(k,n)\).

However, I am unsure how this helps. By inspection, I've found the only subgroup of order 8 in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_{32}\) is \(\displaystyle \{0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28\}\). I have also found its generators by inspection to be 4, 12, 20, and 28. But how is one supposed to find these without doing all the calculations? Thanks!

Hi Ragnarok,

Recall that the order of an element $x$ in a group $G$ is the order of the cyclic subgroup generated by $x$. Also keep in mind that $\Bbb Z_{32}$ is a group under addition, not multiplication. So the result you mentioned should be viewed additively, not multiplicatively.

To solve the problem, first find all elements of order 8 in $\Bbb Z_{32}$. Since gcd(32,4) = 4, the order of 4 is 32/4 = 8. Now we can find the other elements of order 8 by adding multiples of 8 to 4: 12, 20, 28. We stopped at 28, because the next number is 36, which is 4 in $\Bbb Z_{32}$. So there are four elements of order 8: 4, 12, 20, 28. Note that each of these elements generate the same cyclic subgroup. So there is only one subgroup of order 8. In fact, in every finite cyclic group $\Bbb Z_n$, there is a unique subgroup of order $d$ for every positive divisor $d$ of $n$.

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense.

I suspect that you are supposed to use the theorem like so:

$k \in \Bbb Z_{32}$ has order 8 if $\text{gcd}(k,32) = 4$.

In particular, this means $k$ is an odd multiple of 4, that is 4,12,20 or 28.

I understand the frustration of relying on brute force calculations to find generators of subgroups. However, in this case, the theorem you have been given is a useful tool for finding generators of subgroups in cyclic groups.

To apply this theorem, we first need to determine the order of each element in \mathbb{Z}_{32}. Since \mathbb{Z}_{32} is a cyclic group, we know that the order of each element is a divisor of 32. Therefore, the possible orders of elements in \mathbb{Z}_{32} are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32.

Next, we can use the theorem to find the generators of the subgroup of order 8. Since the only possible orders for elements in this subgroup are 1, 2, 4, and 8, we need to find the elements whose orders are 8 and are also divisors of 8. These elements are 4, 12, 20, and 28, as you have already found.

To see why these are the only generators, we can use the theorem to calculate the orders of their powers. For example, for 4, we have 4^2=16, 4^3=64=32+32=0, and 4^4=0. Therefore, the order of 4 is 4, and its powers 4^2, 4^3, and 4^4 all have orders that are divisors of 4. This means that 4 is a generator of a subgroup of order 8.

Similarly, for 12, we have 12^2=144=32+32+32+16=16, 12^3=1728=32+32+32+16+16+16+8=8, and 12^4=20736=32+32+32+16+16+16+8+8+8+4=4. Therefore, the order of 12 is 4, and its powers 12^2, 12^3, and 12^4 all have orders that are divisors of 4. This means that 12 is also a generator of a subgroup of order 8.

We can apply the same reasoning for 20 and 28 to show that they are also generators of subgroups of order 8

Related to Finding subgroups and their generators of cyclic group

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure in which each element can be generated by repeatedly applying a single element, called a generator, to itself. In other words, a cyclic group is a group where all the elements can be generated by a single element.

2. How do you find the subgroups of a cyclic group?

To find the subgroups of a cyclic group, you need to determine all the possible divisors of the order of the group. These divisors will be the orders of the subgroups. Then, you can find the generators of each subgroup by taking the generator of the group and raising it to a power that is relatively prime to the order of the subgroup.

3. Why is it important to find the subgroups of a cyclic group?

Knowing the subgroups of a cyclic group can help us understand the structure of the group and its properties. It can also make it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving the group.

4. Can a cyclic group have multiple generators?

Yes, a cyclic group can have multiple generators. In fact, any element that has a multiplicative inverse in the group can be a generator. However, some cyclic groups may have only one generator, such as the group of integers modulo n under addition.

5. How can we determine the order of a subgroup of a cyclic group?

The order of a subgroup of a cyclic group can be determined by finding the smallest positive integer k such that the generator of the subgroup raised to the power of k equals the identity element of the group. This order will always be a divisor of the order of the cyclic group.