Finding streamlines in blood flow

In summary, the person is working on a master's thesis in computer science and is attempting to create a simulator for magnetic resonance angiography. They are having trouble creating streamlines using their data and have tried using Eulers approach. They are asking for a simple solution and mention that they are using C++ and Qt. Suggestions for using Matlab and calculating the stream function are given. The main direction of velocity appears to be upward and the flow may be two-dimensional.
neochan

Homework Statement

Hi!

I'm creating my master thesis in computer science. The title is 'simulator of magnetic resonance angiography'. My problem is that I have to create some kind of overlay on my image with streamlines of flowing blood. I have to arrays with velocity vectors in two directions up/down and left/right - each pixel has its two values in these two directions. How can I simply create streamlines using this data?

Homework Equations

I'm using Eulers approach - connecting vectors point by point

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use Eulers approach, but at some point it didn't work (see picture)
Zrzut%20ekranu%202012-08-8%20o%2020.21.35.png

as you can see, this line isn't going right way. it should go into right part of the vessel, but it's not. Colours are representation of value of velocity (green means fast, red - slow). Is there any simple solution for my problem?

I'm creating it in c++ and qt if this information can help you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If using Matlab is an option to you, then you can use its streamline plot function. You can easily overlay the lines onto your image. You can also overlay arrows representing the vector values.

You can calculate the stream function, and plot the lines of constant stream function. This will give the stream lines. The main direction of the velocity in your problem sees to be in the upward (y) direction. The partial derivative of the stream function with respect to x is equal to the velocity in the y-direction. You can integrate with respect to x to get the stream function values along each level of y. The stream function should be constant with respect to x along each boundary of the channel. Take the value at the left boundary equal to zero. Hopefully, the values of the stream function you calculate at the right boundary will all be approximately equal. This will be the case if the flow is incompressible. All this hinges, of course, if the flow is two dimensional (channel flow). If those are tubes, you have to proceed differently.

Related to Finding streamlines in blood flow

1. What are streamlines in blood flow?

Streamlines in blood flow refer to the paths that individual blood particles take as they flow through the blood vessels in the body. These paths are determined by the fluid dynamics of blood flow and can be visualized as curved lines in a 3D space.

2. How are streamlines in blood flow calculated?

Streamlines in blood flow are calculated using mathematical models and computer simulations based on the principles of fluid dynamics. These models take into account factors such as blood velocity, viscosity, and vessel geometry to determine the path of blood particles.

3. Why is it important to study streamlines in blood flow?

Studying streamlines in blood flow can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the cardiovascular system. By understanding the patterns of blood flow, we can better understand and diagnose conditions such as atherosclerosis and hypertension, and develop more effective treatments.

4. What techniques are used to visualize streamlines in blood flow?

There are several techniques used to visualize streamlines in blood flow, including Doppler ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and computational fluid dynamics (CFD). These techniques can provide both 2D and 3D images of blood flow patterns.

5. Can streamlines in blood flow change over time?

Yes, streamlines in blood flow can change over time due to factors such as changes in blood pressure, vessel dilation or constriction, and the presence of obstructions or abnormalities in the blood vessels. This is why it is important to study blood flow dynamics under different conditions to gain a more comprehensive understanding of its behavior in the body.