Finding sin and cos without using calculator

In summary, the conversation was about finding ways to calculate trigonometric functions without using a calculator. One suggestion was to use a Taylor series, which can get tedious as more terms are added. Another suggestion was to use a calculator function, but it was noted that calculators typically use different methods to calculate trigonometric functions. One person suggested using CORDIC, while another suggested using the real and imaginary parts of the series for sine and cosine functions.
Emmanuel_Euler
Hi everyone.
i think this is my last thread on PF:frown:!
because i am too busy,anyway,
4 months ago i posted a thread named it finding cube roots without using calculator and now i want to know if there is a way or method to find sin and cos without using calculator.
And thanks to all who helped me in all of my questions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can get as close as you want by using a Taylor series.

[tex]\sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \ ...[/tex]

[tex]\cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \ ...[/tex]

This works well for [itex]x[/itex] near [itex]0[/itex]. Just cut it off at however many terms you want depending on how accurate you want it. You could use a more general form for the functions starting at any [itex]x = a[/itex], but given their periodicity, it seems the simplified would work fine. The only issue then is adding up some fractions.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
axmls said:
You can get as close as you want by using a Taylor series.

[tex]\sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \ ...[/tex]

[tex]\cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \ ...[/tex]

This works well for [itex]x[/itex] near [itex]0[/itex]. Just cut it off at however many terms you want depending on how accurate you want it. You could use a more general form for the functions starting at any [itex]x = a[/itex], but given their periodicity, it seems the simplified would work fine. The only issue then is adding up some fractions.
Maybe you can use a Taylor series to evaluate a trig function without pressing the sin x or cos x keys on a calculator, but I think actually evaluating the Taylor series without using the other calculator functions will get a bit tedious, especially as you add more terms to the evaluation.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
SteamKing said:
Maybe you can use a Taylor series to evaluate a trig function without pressing the sin x or cos x keys on a calculator, but I think actually evaluating the Taylor series without using the other calculator functions will get a bit tedious, especially as you add more terms to the evaluation.
should i have a Calculator function to evaluate taylor series??

Emmanuel_Euler said:
should i have a Calculator function to evaluate taylor series??
No. And your calculator wouldn't use Taylor series to calculate the value of sin x or cos x, either. The Taylor series is slow to converge, and calculators with built-in trig functions use different methods to calculate their values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

What came to my mind when you said that was draw out a triangle with the angle you want to measure and then divide the hypothenuse by the adjacent for cos and the opposite for sin??

This is similar to what SteamKing wrote. The ##\cos z## and ##\sin z## functions respectively are just real and imaginary parts of ##e^{iz}##. We can calculate the sine and cosine functions (in radians) by calculating the real and imaginary parts of the series,

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {\frac{(-1)^{\frac{n}{2}} z^n}{n!}} [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Finding sin and cos without using calculator

1. How can I find the value of sin and cos without using a calculator?

There are several methods for finding the values of sin and cos without a calculator. One method is using the unit circle, where you can use the coordinates of a point on the unit circle to determine the values of sin and cos. Another method is using trigonometric identities and formulas, such as the Pythagorean identity, to calculate the values of sin and cos. Lastly, you can also use approximation techniques, such as Taylor series, to estimate the values of sin and cos.

2. What are some tips for memorizing the values of sin and cos without a calculator?

One helpful tip is to remember the common angles and their corresponding values of sin and cos. These include 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees. Additionally, you can also use the symmetry of the unit circle to remember the values of sin and cos for angles in other quadrants. Another useful tip is to practice and apply the methods mentioned earlier to become more familiar with the values of sin and cos.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the values of sin and cos indirectly?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the values of sin and cos indirectly by using inverse trigonometric functions. For example, if you know the value of sin(30 degrees), you can use the arcsin function on a calculator to find the angle that has a sin value of 30 degrees.

4. How accurate are the values of sin and cos calculated without a calculator?

The accuracy of the values of sin and cos calculated without a calculator depends on the method and techniques used. Using the unit circle and trigonometric formulas can yield precise values, while approximation techniques may have some degree of error. However, with practice and careful calculations, you can achieve accurate values of sin and cos without a calculator.

5. Why is it important to be able to find the values of sin and cos without a calculator?

Being able to find the values of sin and cos without a calculator is essential for understanding and applying trigonometric concepts in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and improve mental math abilities. Furthermore, it allows for a deeper understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and the unit circle.