Finding Salt Concentration in a Tank with Limited Capacity

In summary: To solve it, you'll need to use the integrating factor. Once you find $x(t)$, you need to compute the amount of concentration of salt in the tank right when it's about to overflow (i.e. when $V(t)=500\implies t=t_0$) by computing $c(t_0)=\dfrac{x(t_0)}{500}\text{ lb/gal}$.The limiting concentration amount is then $\displaystyle\lim_{t\to\infty}\frac{x(t)}{t
alane1994
A tank with a capacity of 500 gal originally contains 200 gal of water with 100 lb of salt in solution. Water containing 1lb of salt per gallon is entering at a rat of 3 gal/min, and the mixture is allowed to flow out of the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min. Find the amount of salt in the tank at any time prior to the instant when the solution begins to overflow. Find the concentration (in pounds per gallon) of salt in the tank when it is on the point of overflowing. Compare this concentration with the theoretical limiting concentration if the tank had infinite capacity.

How on earth...

This is so similar I feel like I should be able to do it, yet I am drawing a big blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
alane1994 said:
A tank with a capacity of 500 gal originally contains 200 gal of water with 100 lb of salt in solution. Water containing 1lb of salt per gallon is entering at a rat of 3 gal/min, and the mixture is allowed to flow out of the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min. Find the amount of salt in the tank at any time prior to the instant when the solution begins to overflow. Find the concentration (in pounds per gallon) of salt in the tank when it is on the point of overflowing. Compare this concentration with the theoretical limiting concentration if the tank had infinite capacity.

How on earth...

This is so similar I feel like I should be able to do it, yet I am drawing a big blank.

Again, we need to make a list of the things we know and then end up using the differential equation $\dfrac{dx}{dt} = r_ic_i - r_oc_o$ from the previous thread.

So, we know that $x(0)=100\text{ lb}$, $c_i = 1\text{ lb/gal}$, $V(0) = 200\text{ gal}$, $r_i = 3\text{ gal/min}$ and $r_o=2\text{ gal/min}$.

The fun part is figuring out the amount of concentration leaving the tank. Just as before, it's a quantity that depends on $t$: $c_o(t) = \dfrac{x(t)}{V(t)}$. However, the rate of change of the volume of solution in the tank is the difference of the entry/exiting rates. Thus, we see that
\[\frac{dV}{dt} = r_i-r_o\implies V(t) = (r_i-r_o)t+C\]
Since $V(0)=V_0$, we have that $C=V_0$ and thus $V(t) = (r_i-r_o)t+V_0$. In the context of this problem, that means $V(t)= t+200$ and thus $c_o(t) = \dfrac{x(t)}{t+200}$.

Therefore, the differential equation this time is
\[\frac{dx}{dt} = 3(1) - 2\cdot\frac{x}{t+200}\implies \frac{dx}{dt} = 3-\frac{2x}{t+200}\implies \frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{2}{t+200}x = 3\]
which is a linear first order equation.

To solve it, you'll need to use the integrating factor. Once you find $x(t)$, you need to compute the amount of concentration of salt in the tank right when it's about to overflow (i.e. when $V(t)=500\implies t=t_0$) by computing $c(t_0)=\dfrac{x(t_0)}{500}\text{ lb/gal}$.

The limiting concentration amount is then $\displaystyle\lim_{t\to\infty}\frac{x(t)}{t+200}$.

I hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
You've got more going on in this problem than the last. You have brine coming in and brine leaving, and at different rates. You want to determine the amount $A(t)$ of salt present in the tank at time $t$. Amount equals concentration per volume, and here the volume is a function of $t$, let's call it $V(t)$. So, let's begin with:

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of change of salt = time rate of salt coming in minus time rate of salt going out}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of salt coming in=concentration of brine coming in times the time rate of volume coming in}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of salt going out=concentration of brine going out times the time rate of volume going out}\)

Hence, stated mathematically, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dA}{dt}=1\frac{\text{lb}}{\text{gal}}\cdot3 \frac{\text{gal}}{\text{min}}-\frac{A(t)}{V(t)}\frac{\text{lb}}{\text{gal}}\cdot2\frac{\text{gal}}{\text{min}}\)

And so, in \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{lb}}{\text{min}}\), we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dA}{dt}=3-\frac{2A(t)}{V(t)}\)

Now, how can we determine $V(t)$? What kind of ODE do we have, and how should we solve it?

Hahaha...this time I got ninja'd...:D

MarkFL said:
... Hahaha...this time I got ninja'd...:D

Touché. (Rofl)

Chris L T521 said:
Again, we need to make a list of the things we know and then end up using the differential equation $\dfrac{dx}{dt} = r_ic_i - r_oc_o$ from the previous thread.

So, we know that $\color{red}{x(0)=200\text{ lb}}$, $\color{red}{c_i = 1\text{ lb/gal}}$, $V(0) = 200\text{ gal}$, $r_i = 3\text{ gal/min}$ and $r_o=2\text{ gal/min}$.
\(\color{red}{\text{I believe this is supposed to be something else}}\)
The fun part is figuring out the amount of concentration leaving the tank. Just as before, it's a quantity that depends on $t$: $c_o(t) = \dfrac{x(t)}{V(t)}$. However, the rate of change of the volume of solution in the tank is the difference of the entry/exiting rates. Thus, we see that
\[\frac{dV}{dt} = r_i-r_o\implies V(t) = (r_i-r_o)t+C\]
Since $V(0)=V_0$, we have that $C=V_0$ and thus $V(t) = (r_i-r_o)t+V_0$. In the context of this problem, that means $V(t)= t+200$ and thus $c_o(t) = \dfrac{x(t)}{t+200}$.

Therefore, the differential equation this time is
\[\frac{dx}{dt} = 3(1) - 2\cdot\frac{x}{t+200}\implies \frac{dx}{dt} = 3-\frac{2x}{t+200}\implies \frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{2}{t+200}x = 3\]
which is a linear first order equation.

To solve it, you'll need to use the integrating factor. Once you find $x(t)$, you need to compute the amount of salt in the tank right when it's about to overflow (i.e. when $V(t)=500\implies t=\ldots$).

Couple questions mentioned above. If they are in fact true, doesn't that alter all of what you have said? Just input different values in?

alane1994 said:
Couple questions mentioned above. If they are in fact true, doesn't that alter all of what you have said? Just input different values in?

I noticed I had the wrong x(0) originally (read the problem a little too fast) and edited my original post. It should be x(0)=100, not x(0)=200.

Sorry about that!

Related to Finding Salt Concentration in a Tank with Limited Capacity

1. How do I find the salt concentration in a tank with limited capacity?

To find the salt concentration in a tank with limited capacity, you will need to measure the volume of the tank and the amount of salt dissolved in the tank. Then, divide the amount of salt by the volume of the tank to get the concentration in units of mass per volume (e.g. g/L).

2. What if the salt has settled to the bottom of the tank?

If the salt has settled to the bottom of the tank, it is important to mix the solution thoroughly before taking a sample for measurement. This will ensure an accurate representation of the salt concentration throughout the tank.

3. Can I use a hydrometer to measure the salt concentration?

Yes, a hydrometer can be used to measure the salt concentration in a tank with limited capacity. However, it is important to ensure that the hydrometer is calibrated for the specific type of salt being used and that the solution is well-mixed before taking a reading.

4. How often should I measure the salt concentration in the tank?

The frequency of measurements will depend on the purpose of the tank and the rate at which salt is being added or removed. For most applications, it is recommended to measure the salt concentration at least once a day to ensure consistency and accuracy.

5. Can I use a refractometer to measure the salt concentration?

Yes, a refractometer can also be used to measure the salt concentration in a tank with limited capacity. However, it is important to ensure that the refractometer is calibrated for the specific type of salt being used and that the solution is well-mixed before taking a reading. Additionally, refractometers are best suited for solutions with a low salinity, so it may not be the most accurate option for high concentrations of salt.