Finding Rotational Speed once the Moment of Inertia Increase

In summary, the trapeze artist's rotational speed changed from 6.03 rad/s to 33.1 rad/s after she rotated about her center of mass.
ericoromero

Homework Statement

A trapeze artist performs an aerial maneuver. While in a tucked position, as shown in Figure A, she rotates about her center of mass at a rate of 6.03 rad/s. Her moment of inertia about this axis is 16.1 kg·m2. A short time later the aerialist is in the straight position, as shown in Figure B. If the moment of inertia about her center of mass in this position is now 33.1 kg·m2, what is her rotational speed?

Homework Equations

KE=.5*m*v^2 w(omega)= v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling with this course all year. This is my first physics course outside of college. My biggest problem is that my professor mainly does derivation in class. Once its time for homework were we are using values instead of variables I freeze up. Any help is really appreciated. I just need a nudge in the right directions to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to pick a relevant equation which relates the moment of inertia of a body to its rotational speed. The equation you show in the OP is not that equation.

What have you learned about bodies which rotate about an axis? Do any of the equations in the following article look familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_around_a_fixed_axis

L=I*w(omega), Since I have the omega and the moment of inertia I can find the angular momentum, but how do I relate it to the rotational speed?

ericoromero said:
L=I*w(omega), Since I have the omega and the moment of inertia I can find the angular momentum, but how do I relate it to the rotational speed?

You are given the initial rotational speed in the problem statement, before the MOI changes. After all what does omega represent?

Since no external forces of moments are acting on the trapeze artist, what can also be said about the angular momentum before and after the MOI changes?

I got it! Momentum is conserved so by using L=Iw and the givens i found w(final). Thank you for your help!

Related to Finding Rotational Speed once the Moment of Inertia Increase

1. How do you calculate rotational speed?

Rotational speed can be calculated using the formula: angular velocity (ω) = linear velocity (v) / radius (r).

2. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

3. How does an increase in moment of inertia affect rotational speed?

An increase in moment of inertia will result in a decrease in rotational speed. This is because a larger moment of inertia means a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion.

4. Can the moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering an object's mass, shape, or distribution of mass. For example, increasing the mass or redistributing it towards the center can decrease the moment of inertia and increase rotational speed.

5. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula: moment of inertia (I) = mass (m) * radius squared (r^2). This formula applies to point masses, and the moment of inertia for more complex objects can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia for each point mass.