Finding Resistance of a Voltmeter

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the internal resistance of a Voltmeter using the equation V=IR and information about the current, resistance, and emf of the battery. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to approach the problem and what information is needed to solve it.
thiefjack

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the internal resistance of a Voltmeter.

The current is 0.212 mA which is measured by I. Rx is 7000 Ohms and the emf of the battery is 1.50 V.

Homework Equations

V = IR so R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I start it off to find the Voltmeter's resistance? I don't know exactly to accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thiefjack! Can you provide the full question? I think you have extracted just part of it for this post. This circuit diagram won't get you anywhere.

Or maybe this circuit is your attempt at an answer?

What information would you need in order to determine the voltmeter's resistance?

Related to Finding Resistance of a Voltmeter

1. What is the purpose of finding the resistance of a voltmeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter is a measure of its ability to accurately measure voltage. It allows us to determine how much the voltmeter affects the circuit being measured, and adjust our readings accordingly.

2. How do you calculate the resistance of a voltmeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter can be calculated by dividing the voltage range of the voltmeter by its current range. This is known as the voltmeter's sensitivity.

3. What is the difference between internal and external resistance of a voltmeter?

The internal resistance of a voltmeter refers to the resistance of the voltmeter itself, while the external resistance refers to the resistance of the circuit being measured. The internal resistance can affect the accuracy of the voltmeter's readings, while the external resistance can affect the voltage being measured.

4. How does the resistance of a voltmeter affect its readings?

The resistance of a voltmeter can cause a voltage drop in the circuit being measured, leading to inaccurate readings. This is why it is important to find the resistance of a voltmeter and adjust our readings accordingly.

5. What factors can affect the resistance of a voltmeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter can be affected by the material it is made of, its length and width, and the temperature of the surrounding environment. Additionally, any damage or wear and tear on the voltmeter can also affect its resistance.