Find the voltmeter reading in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a voltmeter with a 4.0 V cell in a circuit with zero internal resistance. An accurately calibrated voltmeter records 1.50 V when connected across YZ. The summary provides calculations for the voltmeter's resistance and a suggestion for finding the voltmeter reading when connected across Y'Z'. The conversation also mentions using a voltage divider to find the voltage in the second circuit.
moenste

Homework Statement

The 4.0 V cell in the circuits shown below has zero internal resistance. An accurately calibrated voltmeter connected across YZ records 1.50 V. Calculate (a) the resistance of the voltmeter, (b) the voltmeter reading when it is connected across Y'Z'.

d63191dd4fe5.jpg

What do your results suggest concerning the use of voltmeters?

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) I = V / R = (4 - 1.5) / 60 = 0.0417 A
I = 1.5 / 40 = 0.0375 A
I that flows in the voltmeter = 0.0417 - 0.0375 = 0.00417 A
R = V / I = 1.5 / 0.00417 = 360 Ω

(b) No idea. I did try to some equations like 4 = 600 * I + I R2, but I think they lead into nothing. How can we find the voltmeter reading? It's a parallel circuit but now we don't know neither the V nor the current or the resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
(b) No idea. I did try to some equations like 4 = 600 * I + I R2, but I think they lead into nothing. How can we find the voltmeter reading? It's a parallel circuit but now we don't know neither the V nor the current or the resistance.
You know the voltmeter's resistance, so just parallel it up with the 400 Ohm resistor and use the resulting voltage divider to find the voltage.

Likes moenste
berkeman said:
You know the voltmeter's resistance, so just parallel it up with the 400 Ohm resistor and use the resulting voltage divider to find the voltage.
You mean 360 Ohm? But it's a different situation (resistors have 600 and 400 Ohm instead of 60 and 40) and it's not stated that 360 Ohm are the same for (b).

But in that case the calculation is clear: 1 / R = 1 / 400 + 1 / 360, we find R = 189, total R = 189 + 600 = 789 Ohm. I = V / R = 4 / 789 = 5.1 * 10-3. V = 5.1 * 10-3 * 600 = 3.04. V = 4 - 3.04 = 0.96 V.

The question implies it is the same voltmeter that is moved to the 2nd circuit for the 2nd reading, so just keep using 360 Ohms for the meter's internal resistance.

Likes moenste

Related to Find the voltmeter reading in a circuit

1. What is a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

2. How do you connect a voltmeter in a circuit?

A voltmeter is connected in parallel with the component or portion of the circuit that you want to measure the voltage across. This means that the voltmeter's two leads are connected to the two points between which you want to measure the voltage.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V).

4. How do you read a voltmeter?

To read a voltmeter, first make sure it is properly connected in the circuit. Then, read the numerical value shown on the display of the voltmeter. Some voltmeters may have different settings for different ranges of voltage, so make sure to use the appropriate setting for your circuit.

5. What are common sources of error when using a voltmeter?

Some common sources of error when using a voltmeter include incorrectly connecting the leads in the circuit, using the wrong range setting on the voltmeter, or having a voltmeter with a low precision or accuracy. It is important to carefully follow instructions and double check connections to ensure accurate readings.