Finding Real and Imaginary Parts of Complex Numbers

In summary, to find the real and imaginary parts of a complex number like 12/(12+3i), you cannot simply reduce the fraction. Instead, you should multiply the top and bottom by the complex conjugate (12-3i). This will clear the denominator of the imaginary component, allowing you to easily separate the real and imaginary parts. This method is especially useful when rewriting code from MatLab to ANSI C.
magda3227
If I were given a complex number, such as

12/(12+3i)

in order to find the real and imaginary parts of the number, I assume that I cannot just reduce the fraction and say the real part is 1 and the imaginary part is 4. I can almost guarantee that this will not calculate the correct answer.

So how would I find the real and imaginary parts of this number?

I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I am rewriting MatLab code into ANSI C and need to separate such numbers into their real and imaginary parts.

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply the top and bottom of the complex conjugate (12-3i). This clears the denominator of the imaginary component.

Thank you.

Sadly, I didn't think of doing that.

magda3227 said:
Thank you.

Sadly, I didn't think of doing that.

Why sadly?

Next time, you'll manage on your own. :smile:

Related to Finding Real and Imaginary Parts of Complex Numbers

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately.

3. What is the difference between a real and imaginary number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line, while an imaginary number is a number that cannot be represented on a number line and is instead represented by the letter "i".

4. Can a complex number be written in standard form?

Yes, a complex number can be written in standard form, which is a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many fields of science and technology, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are also used in the study of waves and oscillations, such as in the field of quantum mechanics.