Finding reaction products in reduction chemistry

In summary, this is not homework. The person is working on a project with their kids and trying to approach specific energy of reduction reactions from the theoretical side. They are looking at reagents Na2S2O5, KNO3, C12H22O11, and Fe2O3. They are aware of the potential for toxicity and are taking the necessary precautions.
sevenperforce
Contrary to potential appearance, this is not homework. I've been out of college for a long time now. Just working on a project with my kids and I'm trying to approach specific energy of these reduction reactions from the theoretical side, mostly so I know what sort of safety precautions to take.

I can balance the equations and find the bond energies and all that stuff to get an idea of reaction chemistry and specific energy, but only if I already know both sides of the equation. Here are the reagents I'm looking at:

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + Fe2O3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + C12H22O11 → ?

KNO3 + C12H22O11 → ?

KNO3 + C12H22O11 + Fe2O3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + C12H22O11 + Fe2O3 → ?

I know that Na2S2O5 + KNO3 can react to form Na2S04 + KNO + S03 and that KNO3 + C12H22O11 will produce CO2 and H2O but I don't know exactly where the potassium and nitrogen end up in the latter reaction. I suspect that the water and sulfur trioxide could then react as well, though I don't know whether the sulfur would act to poison the other parts of the reaction. And I have no idea what the Fe2O3 would do to it all.

And before anyone asks: yes, I know that numerous sulfur oxides and a lot of other potential byproducts are toxic. Necessary precautions will be taken.

Likes berkeman
Chemistry news on Phys.org
sevenperforce said:
mostly so I know what sort of safety precautions to take.

Take the same precautions as for gunpowder.

sevenperforce said:
But I don't know exactly where the potassium and nitrogen end up in the latter reaction.

Just expect the most stable compounds: N2 and K2O or K2S.

sevenperforce said:
And I have no idea what the Fe2O3 would do to it all.

It's a redox catalyst.

Related to Finding reaction products in reduction chemistry

What is a reduction reaction?

A reduction reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a molecule or ion gains electrons. This results in a decrease in the oxidation state of the molecule or ion.

How do you determine the reaction products in a reduction reaction?

To determine the reaction products in a reduction reaction, you must first identify the oxidizing agent and the reducing agent. The oxidizing agent is the molecule or ion that accepts electrons, while the reducing agent is the molecule or ion that donates electrons. Once these are identified, you can use the oxidation state change method to determine the products.

What are the most common products of a reduction reaction?

The most common products of a reduction reaction are the reduced form of the molecule or ion being reduced, along with any byproducts or waste products. For example, in a reduction reaction of iron oxide, the product would be iron, along with any waste products such as water or carbon dioxide.

What factors can affect the outcome of a reduction reaction?

The outcome of a reduction reaction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength of the reducing agent, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the starting materials used in the reaction can also impact the outcome.

How can you confirm the presence of reaction products in reduction chemistry?

The presence of reaction products in reduction chemistry can be confirmed through various methods, such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and chemical tests. These techniques can help identify the chemical composition and properties of the products formed in a reduction reaction.